Chapter 32 - Pebble.

.VOꟼ Ͷ/Y - "⸮..miʜ ꙅɒw ƚI"

Nestled in the luscious green hills, beside the shimmering lake of calm restful water, lived a small cottage with a blue door. The gentle hums of the wind brushing against the walls, and tree branches flexing in the wind filled the air. The chirps of the birds stormed through the soft currents, whistling the sounds into my ear and out the other. With a smile of love, I grabbed the small smooth grey pebble, fiddling with it in between my fingers. As the little specks of dust and dirt guided onto my fingertips, I drew my arm backwards, aiming for the little rock to slide and ride the waves of the lake.

As I threw it along the water, I watched it catch the small ripples which echoed around it. It hopped, one, two or perhaps three times, before swimming down into the bottom of the lake below. I crotched down, guiding myself to slot another one in my s/c fingers to push against the liquid. This time, I aimed it high, preparing for a much further and long shot. As it twisted through the air, it didn't go very far. Before I knew it, it was back on the ground, only a couple of steps in front of me.

Huffing in annoyance, I walked forward, searching to pick up the same rock. I tried again, and again. I didn't give up, no matter how many times it seemed to ignore my push and attempts of letting it be free and ride the path of life. Finally, it caught the water, skipping not once, nor thrice, but a whopping five times. Jumping up and down in a cheerful manner, a thought crossed through my mind. Twisting into something which caused me to calm down with a relaxed smile gestured across my features.

You see, that pebble reminds me of Wriothesley and Sigewinne. No matter the many times I tried to guide them, I never gave up. I still continued to somewhat pick them up off the ground, standing them back onto their feet as I lined them up for success. I wasn't the best of help, or nor did I help them crazily but I tried. I supported him with staying afterhours, even though it rather pissed me off. But, nevertheless, I was glad I could support him in such hardships. I could never imagine having a daughter, even though Sigewinne has called me mum multiple times. Surprisingly, for the smartest kid, she's let it slip more often than the others!

I grabbed another smooth stone, chucking it up into the air and catching it safely in the grasp of my palm. I lined my fingers up with the hum of the lake, preparing to guide it along the smooth flowing liquid. Drawing my arm back, I let it go with a flick of my wrists, watching it find it's way before sinking, I chuckled. A small sense of pride invading me before I suddenly felt a pair of hands grasp my arm, "Boo!" They chirped.

The voice was soft and I could hear the gentle hum of a child, "Sige..." I said in between the childish giggles that swirled through the air. I turned around, running my fingers to tickle into the sides of her rib cage. She twisted and turned, attempting to run away from me. Though, before she could run off, I had scooped her up into my arms. As I laughed, I looked up to see Wriothesley with his arms slotted over his chest, "What are you doing here? Do you need me to look after her?" I asked gently.

He shook his head, "No, she insisted on seeing you."

"Well since your papa's girlfriend, that makes you my mummy!" She chirped which caused my face to flush a red in embarrassment. I saw her guardian just look away in a flustered tone at her silly words. Guiding my vision back to her, I spoke, "That's very sweet Winnie... How about, your dad will go inside my house and make some tea. While he does that, we can go pick some peaches from the tree! How does that sound?"

Her ears perked upwards at my words, a smile plastering across her features, "Yes, yes! Pleasee!" She chirped, running forward, "Daddy, you go make tea!" She said in her usual soft tone. He nodded with a chuckle, a hint of amusement rolling off his tongue. As he made his way into my house, I locked the little girl's hand around mine and made our way over to the tree.

The skylines were beautiful, bathed in the essence of a light blue haze. The sun glistened, a glare catching my eye as I looked up to pick the fruit. As I turned back to look at Sigewinne, I saw her fidgeting with with her fingers. It rather confused me, why wasn't she helping this time? With a spark of curiosity running through my veins, I asked, "Is everything okay, Winnie?"

I saw a gulp run down her throat and her fingers run to clench something in her pocket, "What would you do, if you're dad was a killer?" She said, her voice cracking with a slight shake. My eyes widened in disbelief, shaking my head as I refused to believe such words. "What...?" I whispered, looking for any sign of someone perhaps watching us.

She nodded, drawing out a newspaper article. As I began to open it, I felt my heart sink. With the fully exposed piece of writing laid before me, my whole body came to a froze. She didn't lie... the photo looked exactly like him. Even the wounds and cuts that grazed his neck were the exact, to the point, not a single mistake nor difference. With a nervous laughter, I turned to look towards the lake. Was this fun beloved of mine really a killer? Why didn't he tell me? I know it's a lot but we're meant to protect each other.

No--

Like the pebble, he found his freedom by being with Sigewinne, like how it flew through the air but once it hit the water, it sunk. That is his trauma. Sige has mentioned some of the ways he's acted to her before. I guess all the lines are finally matching. Everything make's sense now.