Chapter 31 - Solace.

"𝔅𝔲𝔱 ℑ 𝔴𝔞𝔰 𝔟𝔬𝔯𝔫 𝔴𝔢𝔞𝔨... 𝔰𝔬 𝔴𝔥𝔬 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡 ℑ 𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔫 𝔱𝔬 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔰𝔬𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔢?" - 𝔖𝔦𝔤𝔢𝔴𝔦𝔫𝔫𝔢 𝔓𝔒𝔙.

"Dad?" I breathed out, my senses tingling with confusion. My eyes glanced around the room. Lisa was still on the phone with my teacher, informing them on my sudden absence. I mumbled to myself, stuffing the papers underneath my sleeve out of sight. I couldn't help but feel my heart ping for what felt like a hundred miles per hour. He wasn't a bad guy was he...? With a shake of my head I spotted some more, rather old, newspapers. 

Flicking through them, I couldn't find anything on whatever this was. Even if it wasn't him, it would still be worth asking. I mean, he knows most crimes so he would know! I'm sure he has an explanation either way. But, my father is too kind to be someone who murdered his own parents. I love him too dearly, I just don't want to believe it's true. He's not that type of person! He isn't.

And if that was true, what threat would that be to me? Would he use his status against me? Perhaps tomorrow could be my last day. Now- now, I was scared and fearful. Maybe he had planned my death since the beginning... maybe he took after his parents. Perhaps, he had already been a father to many and I was just a another clueless kid being baited into this trap.

I heaved a shaky sigh, my arms gently quivering with fear. I was now petrified, my legs trembling with an aching feeling that I couldn't grasp. I had let these thoughts swirl around my mind and control me. A weird wet substance fell from my eyes, staining my cheeks in sorrow. I sat down on the ground and sobbed into my knees, trying to make the voices disappear out of my head.

Suddenly, I felt a hand slip up my back. It wasn't Lisa's, it felt too... different. My eyes gently raised up to spot a medium tall lady with brown hair and small specks of gold. She was sipping at what smelt like a coffee. Her eyes were filled with the colour of a ruby. "What's wrong, child?" She asked, her eyes observing my features. My ears lowered as my nose sniffled, "Name's Chiori. I help make the outfits for the school plays and I also teach textiles. What's a little Melusine girl like you doing here crying in the library?" 

She sat her cup down on one of the spare tables and hunched beside me. I didn't say anything at first which caused her to pick at a string that fell from her clothes, "I made these clothes... and there still faulty." She murmured which made me giggle. I don't know why, but it did. Though Chiori didn't have a wide or brightening smile, I still could see a small perk of the corners of her lipstick stained lips, "Nothing is ever going to perfect." She gently sighed.

I'm unsure why but the words she spoke made me feel better. Now all the thoughts about my dad had slipped out of my mind, completely vanishing like nothing had ever happened. My ears slowly perked back up and I gently spoke a simple question, "Do you know who Y/N is?"

Chiori's eyebrows raised ever so slightly, almost seeming stunned by the sudden question. Perhaps she was still waiting for me to answer her first one, "Y/N? Oh, that lady? Yes, she's one of my closest friends, though I've told the poor dear that she needs to get a better fashion taste..." She answered with a click of her tongue.

"I like her taste!" I snorted, my hair bouncing with my chirpy movements. The lady with brown hair huffed as she properly sat beside me, "That's a first. Look's like the dear got ran over by a car. But you missy, you in that cute little outfit..." Her fingers ran to adjust my bow, "Perfect. If you don't mind me asking though, how do you know Y/N?"

"Oh. I think she's like my dad's... girl- boy? Wife-"

"Girlfriend?"

"Yes!"

I saw her eyebrows knit down, like the words I had spoken were not true. Her hands ran to grab her phone, "Is that so... I hadn't heard of such a thing." She seemed to be typing a message, but I didn't know who to exactly. She rolled her shoulders backwards before more words left her lips, "And who might your dad be little one? Surprised he can tolerate her annoying attitude."

I wanted to laugh but I also didn't want to be rude to Y/N. "It's Wriothesley!" I chirped, that smile still written across my features. Chiori's eyebrows gently softened as her phone slipped back into her pocket, "He's a really famous police officer!"

"Yes dear, I believe I've seen him on TV. What a great person he is."

But suddenly my mind went silent. It froze and I don't know why. All my thoughts, smiles, laughter and words, gone.

The only thing I could see was that great person, locked behind bars. No, no. I needed to tell Y/N first.