Chapter 2

Two days passed completely normal for me. The snow outside was building slowly which kept the weather a constant freezing but I was able to make sure the fire was always going. It wasn't until this morning that I let it settle down to glowing ashes.

I dressed in several layers today making me sweat inside the house as I gathered my bags. I hooked the leather strap on my elbow, shoving my tote back inside before sliding my purse up to my shoulder.

The walk to my mom's car wasn't so bad but I had to stop to brush off snow and check the snow chains. We lived several miles outside of the closest small town and I didn't need to skid off the road.

"Mornin' Heather!" I heard from across the street.

I glanced up at Cooper, smiling and offering a wave. "Good morning Mr. Elrod!"

He had been our neighbor for the last five years. He was nice but distant. Not that we minded so much. Plus when I was still in school he was helpful with checking on mom. He was an older man, probably in his sixties and his hair wasn't quiet all grey yet. His face was covered with light hair that tried to form a beard. He was technically our only neighbor. His red house faced ours but on either side was several acres of land that put distance between each house.

He hobbled down the drive to begin peeling the tarp off of his truck while I got inside the CRV and allowed it to heat up. I pulled off my gloves and loosened the scarf on my neck as the vents blew hot air out.

After several, minutes I slowly backed out of the drive. I knew the car could function closer to normal with my mother's preparations but driving on these unattended roads in the snow made me nervous.

I had learned to drive up here but I wasn't always around so much snow. My mother had me in Florida then we moved from there to California, without my dad. He was still in Florida and hardly makes time to send post cards. Another side effect of my mother's mind.

In eleventh grade my mother made us move up here. Claimed they wouldn't be able to find her here. I wish her mind would have accepted that. I believed that would happen at the time. I supported the move and helped in any way I could. Now I knew nothing could make her mind comprehend no one was coming for her.

The adjustment from sunny California to Seward, Alaska was a big one. I liked the summers, when it was warmer, and the landscape was beautiful. We weren't far from the shoreline and mountains were visible from our house. I just wished she would have picked a bigger city. It wasn't healthy for us to have this little social interactions.

I pulled into the parking lot of the only grocery stores. The buildings weren't tall, they were one story and gathered relatively close together in the town. A tiny cluster in the middle of nowhere.

I slipped my gloves back on before getting out of my car. I walked swiftly inside only pausing to grab a cart.

For the next hour I ambled around the store picking up food and supplies we had been running low on. It wasn't much but I didn't want to wait until the snow build up to much. It took longer for the plow to reach our street.

"Good morning Heather." A woman greeted from behind as I picked up paper towels.

I turned with a smile. "Good morning Jan."

Jan the wife of a pastor that preached at a church my mother dragged me to for several Sundays. She thought that would help her. In truth I think it did. She seemed calmer after the services. I had hope that was working, that she finally found something to comfort her. It only took two months for her to lose it again.

"How are you baby?" She went in for a hug.

I kept a natural smile, patting her shoulder lightly. "I'm good, how are you?"