Chapter 19

My steps were hesitant but willing as I walked closer to the ship. My feet stopped on their own as the man down the steps.

He looked like an Occollan. White scales and purple cat eyes. He eyed me curiously, seeming confused and intrigued.

I didn't wait too long, pacing quickly towards him. "You're from Occolla?" I asked.

His eyes pulled off my feet to my face. "Who are you?" he asked.

"Heather." Not that he would know. "Look I don't have a lot of time and you don't know me but can you please help me?"

"You need to get up there?" He pointed to the sky.

I nodded. He could read my thoughts too. I tried to control them. I didn't know this man there was no telling what his limit would be.

"Alright," he agreed.

I sucked in a deep breath with a relieved smile on my face. "Thank you," I breathed.

He moved out of my way to signal I could get on his ship and I did. This was stupid. I realized that. He was Occollan but that didn't mean he would be kind or trustworthy. But he was the only one that had come down and he was offering to take me up. I would have to work with that.

The door closed behind us and two men at the controls stared at me wide eyed then flashed a look to the man.

"Just orbit for now," he instructed.

I felt the ship move but didn't look out the window to see it leave the ground.

"So, Heather." He examined me. "I assume you were trying to get someone's attention...with the fire."

I nodded. "Yes."

"Why?"

He was probably looking in my mind for the answer.

"My mother was taken. I'm trying to get her back, or at least get to her."

"You're sure you didn't lose her on earth?"

"Positive," I said.

From the window beside me I could see the earth's atmosphere. We were just circling the planet; I think we were over Europe now. I knew he was watching me, probably reading my thoughts. I tried to think over how to ask.

"Ask what?" He proved he was in my mind.

I looked back to him. "I need to go to ," I informed him. "I know they're the ones that have her—"

He leaned towards the men flying. "Turn back around."

"What no!" I stepped forward. "Why?"

"I'm not taking you to Nastruapra. I'm surprised you know anything at all. If you knew more about them you wouldn't want to go there. Mother or not."

"I know plenty." I pictured the green alien with his knife.

He eyed me again. "And you want to go back?" he asked like I was insane. "I figured 's had some survival instinct but now I'm reconsidering."

"My mother is there," I emphasized. "I can't leave her."

Besides I couldn't be sure they wouldn't come for me again anyway.

"If that's the case they'll have to get you themselves," he responded to my thoughts. "I won't be responsible for handing you over to them."

I was starting to feel hopeless. I had finally caught someone's attention and was already off earth. Now he wouldn't take me where I wanted to go.

"Please," I tried again, emotion was better with them. "Please just drop me there. You won't be responsible for anything that happens to me. I'm literally asking you to do this."