Chapter 12

Ikzo POV

I let Heather rest for a full earth day before trying to do something else. I wasn't entirely sure about what the Sypien body needed to function fully. I knew food, water, and sleep were necessary but how much? I gave extra just to make sure.

I knew yesterday must have been a shock to her. I wondered if I was pushing it too far. If her mind would break like I had heard the others did. Usually Sypien that were taken screamed and cried, from what I had heard anyway. They were in a constant state of distress and never mentally stable. I didn't get that from her. She was more nervous than scared coming in but now her emotions were calmer. I'd like to say I helped with that.

She was still closed off, which was understandable. I have been able to travel from planet to planet since I was a child. Then as I gained my title and property I was able to explore different universes. She hadn't even been off her own planet. From her reaction I wondered if she even knew there were other species out here.

Like the other day she was here I waited in the main entrance for her. I didn't want her wandering the halls for several reasons. For one, she would get lost. They were tricky if you weren't familiar with them. Second, she would probably be scared by the others. They acted more civil around her per my instructions. Third, and the most selfish one, I didn't want her to catch me with my guard down.

I looked like my people and I knew that frightened her. Immediate relief was what she felt when she assumed I was Sypien. Even now I knew it comforted her to have familiar features to look upon. I feared she would shy away if she saw me any other way.

I wanted her to be comfortable here, as comfortable as she could get until she leaves. I didn't like that thought of her being frightened or uneasy. I knew this couldn't be easy for her so from the moment I had been informed that the captive was a Sypien it became my mission to make this as easy as possible for them. My goal was fueled each time I see her softening reactions. No accommodation seemed too much when that happened.

The door to her room opened as she turned out of it. Her fiery red hair hung in tight coils to her slender waist. They bounced with her walk. Her pace was slower today, her gaze on her feet.

Her brown eyes picked up with disinterest, a neutral look on her soft face until she caught my figure. Her posture straightened and a hint of worry crossed her expression. I felt a wave of anxiety, hope, and disappointment roll simultaneously from her to me.

It's probably not news of the others, her thoughts echoed quietly in my mind.

"Are you up for another trip?" I asked. I would comfort her with the news they were showing signs of leaving soon.

"To the market?"

Even if I couldn't hear her thoughts, couldn't see the images of yesterday flash in her mind, I would have been able to tell from her tone she did not like the market. She enjoyed going out but not being surrounded by the others.

"No somewhere different." I corrected.

Ideas of where that could be crossed her mind. I caught one image that she dismissed quickly. The picture flashed quickly, metal walls and a knife. It made my face fall from its friendly expression for a second. What was that? With the picture came feelings of fear, vulnerability, and sadness. I wanted her to recall the image, to explain what had happened but it occurred to me if I did so it would upset her more.

Instead I turned towards the door, hoping she would not see my expression. There was pain with her thought, physical and mental. It angered me.

I pushed my hand on the panel and allowed her to head out first when it opened. She only paused at the sight of a small aircraft waiting in the front.