Chapter 25

We sat in our usual seats, Ikzo much closer than normal. I didn't complain, it was nice. I enjoyed being close to him which made him keep his position. I was halfway through my meal, Ikzo eating a bit too, when Pher showed up again.

He sat down across from us, nodding to Ikzo then acting nonchalant when he looked at me.

I glanced to Ikzo briefly, he was staring at Pher probably talking again. My attention went back to my plate.

"Fine go ahead." Ikzo finally spoke.

My eyes went to his then to Pher as he said, "So Ikzo and I have a plan but it relies on you not trying to bolt."

I wasn't promising that.

"Alright then plan B." He said immediately.

"And what's plan B?" I didn't try to know what plan A was. I wasn't going to give up on trying to get to my mother.

"In order for the entire problem to be solved we're going to try and take the craft."

My eyes widened a bit, flashing to Ikzo's.

"They are already too close to our planet. They would have to be hovering for a bit longer for that to be justified."

"Specifically they have to come closer."

"I don't think the others will want to wait that long. Them hovering for so long should be enough." Ikzo shook his head at Pher's statement.

"No necessarily. They waited a while last time and no one protested, even I didn't. I had seen them—like the others—and ignored them because of their distance," Pher said.

"This is the second time."

"Okay hold on," I interrupted them as they started to argue, "Why are you wanting to take the craft?"

"If we can take it we'd have reason to force a trade." Ikzo said, "They'd agree, not so much for their people but for the machine. They'll give us your mother."

I straightened in my seat, "You think that will work?"

He nodded, "If we can get one more Hye Jish to agree. It's one of the rules, one can't violently interfere with another species unless provoked or backed by three districts."

"There has to be proper cause to. Our planet doesn't allow what theirs does. We can't just take it because we want to." Pher said, "If we explain we are concerned with then so close we could sway one more Hye Jish to agree."

"Hovering will be enough." Ikzo corrected him.

This seemed to be a reason they couldn't agree with.

"So what happens if it's not, theoretically, if the others don't see a problem with it?" I asked.

"Then we can't take it."

"Or—"

"No." Ikzo snapped.

"What?" My gaze moved between them.

"I suggested," Pher looked cautious as he spoke like Ikzo might jump up and attack him. I couldn't picture it. Ikzo didn't seem like the violent type, "that we use you as bait."

I waited, wanting more of an explanation.

"I don't think hovering will be enough. The others won't see a problem until they are too close to our surface. If you were to go out alone, with someone close by of course, they would lower to get you. It would allow us to act then, before they even had a chance to land."

That didn't sound like a bad idea.

"You're not doing it."

"Why not?" I turned my head to face Ikzo, "He just said I would be close to someone. Besides it's better than my plan."