✧ 22 ✧

y/n's pov:
you were now in thr boiler room, following shane. "i don't like the way Jenner clammed up. the way he just wandered off like that. what's wrong with him?" shane says and you nod in agreement. "seriously, man, he is nuts" t-dog states. you hear beeping coming from a door to your left. "in there." you say, walking into the room. it was small, and filled floor to ceiling with generators. you start to look for any that weren'nt empty, to no avail. "check that way." shane says and you put a hand out "shane. theyre all empty." you say and he was about to say something when when lights turn off. a second later red lights go on and vi announces "emergency lighting on."

you all walk out of the room and back to the main room. "hey, you guys kill the lights?" shane asks rick and he shakes his head "nah, it just went out. anything?" he answers and t-dog shrugs "yeah, a lot of dead generators and more empty fuel drums than i can count." he answers. jenner appears from one of the doors, and sits down at a desk with a bottle of whiskey. he looks put of it, distraught. "i did the best i could in the time that i had. i hope you'd be proud of that. ie always think there's gonna be more time, then it runs out." he says, not to anyone directly. "why is the air off? and the lights in our room? What's going on?" carol asks and jenner turns to her. "energy use is being prioritized." he answers and shane walks up to him.

"air isn't a priority? and lights?" he says, slightly accusatory. jenner shrugs his head "it's not up to me. zone 5 is shutting itself down." he states and daryl walks towards him. "hey! hey, what the hell does that mean? hey man, i'm talking to you. what do you mean it's shutting itself down? how can a building do anything?" he asks and you hear somthing whirring. "the system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power. it's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second. that started as we approached the half-hour mark. right on schedule. It was the french." jenner explains and your face twists with confusion "what?" you ask and he takes a sip from the bottle. "they were the last ones to hold out as far as i know. while our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs till the end. they thought they were close to a solution." he answers.

andrea narrows her eyes "what happened?" she asks and the doctor takes anoth sip from the bottle. "the same thing that's happening here. no power grid. ran out of juice. the world runs of fossil fuel. i mean, how stupid is that?" jenner says with a scoff. you start to get wary and turn to glenn "go grab your stuff." you mutter to him and he nods and walks off to do so. rick has the same idea, "lori, grab our things. everybody, get your stuff. we're getting out of here now!" he shouts and everyone springs into action, running off to their rooms to gwt their things.

an alarm starts blaring and you grimace. "thirty minutes to decontamination." vi announces and you start to get anxious, shifting your weight from one foot to another. "doc, what's going on here?" daryl says, approaching the doctor. you hear a machanical whir and see the doors to the hall way closing down, rught before glenn was going to leave. he walks back to your side. "did you just lock us in? he just locked us in!" you shout and everyone starts to panic. jenner turns towards the computer on the desk he was sitting at. "we've hit the 30-minute window. i am recording." he says to the webcam. you walk up behind him, and hold your daggar to his throat. "open those doors, or i start cutting." you spit and jenner doesn't react, just turns around to face you.

"there's no point. Everything topside is locked down. The emergency exits are sealed."  he says and you feel an overwhelming sense of dread. "well, open the damn things." daryl says and the doctor shajes his head. "that's not something I control. the computers do. i told you once that front door closed, it wouldn't open again. you heard me say that. it's better this way." jenner says, his face devoid of any emotion. "what happens in 28 minutes?" you mutter to jenner, though you already had an idea. jenner stabds, his face now twisted with anger "you know what this place is?! we protected the public from very nasty stuff! weaponized smallpox! ebola strains that could wipe out half the country! stuff you don't want getting out! ever! in the event of a catastrophic power failure, a terrorist attack, for example, h.i.t.s are deployed to prevent any organisms from getting out." he says and you tense. you knew what that meant, and it was not good.