Chapter 2: Meet the Guards

Aphmau looked around the village as both Garroth and Zenix helped those who were in the well out. The path was almost all ruined and there were large holes that she tripped over a few times. Some of the houses were also a little bit damaged. It didn't seem like many people were there, those who were there were busy with farming or trying to repair their houses. They barely paid much attention to Aphmau, but she still said hi to them as she passed by.

Aphmau's thoughts: " What happened here? Were these guys attacked or something? Where are all the other guards?"

Aphmau then heard someone yelp a few times, she looked around till she saw a man working on a part of the path, but he hit his hand a few times, causing him to yelp a little bit and swear in under his breath even.

Aphmau: " Ummm... are you okay?"

The man: " Huh... Ow!! Agh.. yeah, just trying to attempt to fix the walkway a bit so nobody trips all over the place."

Aphmau: " Do you need some help?"

The man: " Yes please. I really need another hand right now."

Aphmau then kneeled down, the man handed her some tools and she began to work with him.

The man: " I never seen you around before. Are you a traveler or a traveling merchant?"

Aphmau: " Well, I guess you could call me a wonder. I wonder around a few places till I can find a forever home, I guess. I was brought here by two of your guards, Garrroth and Zenix."

The man: " Really? I mean, I can see Garroth helping you, but Zenix, he doesn't really like many people. Don't know why, but he seems to only like Garroth and the old lord."

Aphmau: " ... Do you... do you know what happened? Or what happened to the village?"

The man went quiet, and Aphmau realized what she said.

Aphmau: " Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring that up..."

The man: " No, no. It's alright, and you're new around here. Well, we don't really know what happened, we went to check on him when we smell smoke and most of his house was destroyed. We don't know who did it. As for the village, things haven't been going that good after his death, we have been attacked by a few things, and it's why this place looks like crap a bit."

Aphmau: " Hey, I wouldn't call it crap. This place just needs a little fixer upper. Aside from Garroth and Zenix, are there any other guards here? I didn't really see any so far."

The man: " Yeah, we have a few, but we kinda lost a lot during a few of these attacks."

Aphmau: " Oh, I'm sorry."

The man: " It's alright. I'm Brenden by the way."

Aphmau: " I'm Aphmau."

While helping Brenden a bit, Zenix watched them from afar, glaring at Aphmau a bit. After a good while, the two were able to fix part of the walkway and one of the houses a bit.

Brenden: " Thanks for the help. Not many would help me with fixing the place up. I think they see me as a bit of a weirdo or a pervert."

Aphmau: " What? Why?"

Brenden: " I don't know, probably because I have trouble talking to girls a bit. I think you might be one of the few girls that I've been able to talk to without being sweaty or having trouble getting words out."

Aphmau: " Well, I don't think you're weird. I think you're pretty helpful, you work hard to try and repair this place a bit. And if no one can see that, then maybe they should try and fix it themselves instead of you."