chapter 1: alone in a silent storm

The torrents of gentle sunlight poured into the doctor's office as he sat in front of his patient, listening intently to his heart and lungs with a stethoscope

The torrents of gentle sunlight poured into the doctor's office as he sat in front of his patient, listening intently to his heart and lungs with a stethoscope. It was a boy around the age of 18, with wavy silver hair covering his small forehead and reaching his honey-coloured eyes which sparkled with a mischievous intent like the sun rays on the clear sky.

The room was white and sterile, the crisp walls adorned with medical charts and diagrams. Dr. Park gently examined the boy who was sitting on the examination table in the centre, listening to the rhythmic thumping and whooshing a comforting reassurance of life within him.

The boy grinned playfully as he watched the doctor's focused expression, "Doc, I hope my heart's not playing any tricks on you today. It's been known to break into song when it hears a good beat!" he said in a light-hearted way, trying to hide his crippling nervousness about the check-up by injecting some humor into the conversation.

Dr. Park chuckled, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "Well, let's hope it's not a musical today, Beomgyu-ssi," he replied with a playful tone. "But if it is, I'll be sure to grab my dancing shoes!"

As the stethoscope transmitted the steady thump-thump of Beomgyu's heart, he couldn't resist teasing, "Is that my heart or the bass line for our dance party?"

Dr. Park laughed, his warm smile bringing some comfort to the boy on the examination table. "I think we've got a solid rhythm section here," he quipped. "Your heart's definitely got some moves!"

Their playful banter continued as Dr. Park moved the stethoscope to listen to the boy's lungs. "Take a deep breath for me," he instructed.

Beomgyu complied, inhaling deeply and then exhaling slowly. "Ah, feels like a breath of fresh air," he remarked with a grin. "Maybe I should take up singing as a hobby."

The doctor nodded, his expression kind and encouraging. "You've got the lungs for it," he replied. "But for now, let's focus on keeping them healthy and strong."

Beomgyu had to go under a few more checks and measurements. It has been his regular routine after his heart transplant operation. You could say that Beomgyu was born under an unfortunate star. He never got to experience the true joy of childhood to the full due to his severe heart condition. Beomgyu used to suffer Coronary artery disease for painfully many years and no matter how hard the doctors tried to find a donor for him, they couldn't manage to which led Beomgyu to realize that he would have to die young. It was a devastating truth. Only he understood the weight of living with the constant uncertainty of never being able to bid farewell to those he held dear knowing that each moment could be his last. However, realising it would make his mother and boyfriend sad beyond belief, Beomgyu always tried to hide the fear that was brewing beneath his chest all the time like a poisonous storm. They were already sad enough. Beomgyu never wanted to put any more weight onto their shoulders than he already had, so he would try to smile all the time and act cheerful until...