chapter 22: promising news

The morning sun cast long shadows across the hospital hallway, its golden light filtering through the windows and illuminating the somber atmosphere

The morning sun cast long shadows across the hospital hallway, its golden light filtering through the windows and illuminating the somber atmosphere. Mrs. Choi sat rigidly in her chair, her arms crossed tightly over her chest, her expression guarded and wary. Beside her, Yeonjun fidgeted nervously, his eyes fixed on the floor as he struggled to find the right words to break the suffocating silence that hung between them.

The tension in the air was palpable, thick and heavy with unspoken words and unresolved emotions. Mrs. Choi's defensive posture spoke volumes, a silent barrier erected between them, while Yeonjun's hesitance reflected his uncertainty and guilt.

With a deep breath, Yeonjun finally mustered the courage to speak, his voice barely above a whisper in the quiet hallway. "Mrs. Choi," he began tentatively, "I know you must be angry with me, and... I don't blame you. I'm sorry for everything, truly."

His words hung in the air, fragile and uncertain, as he waited for her response, his heart pounding in his chest with anticipation.

"You know the loss I experienced," Yeonjun whispered with a teary voice, looking down at his hands in his lap, "Soobin... I loved him really much and I couldn't imagine life without him. There was so much hope that he would survive and that we would manage make our dreams come true together, but his sudden death left me in a complete despair. I struggled so long to get over it but I couldn't... until I met your son... Beomgyu reminded me so much of Soobin. I could see Soobin's lively energy and mischief in him. Beomgyu effortlessly made me depended on him and his energy. I was so depended on him that... when I heard that he would probably die very soon, I realized that I wouldn't be able to handle it and watch him die before my eyes... I couldn't go through this horrible pain all over again because... he had become so precious to me, so valuable... so I ran away. I tried to escape this pain but it still plagued me every day..."

Mrs. Choi listened in silence, her eyes softening slightly as she took in Yeonjun's words. She could hear the pain and remorse in his voice, the weight of his guilt heavy on his shoulders. "I understand," she finally spoke, her voice gentle yet tinged with sadness. "But running away only brings temporary relief, doesn't it? You may have tried to spare yourself from the pain, but in doing so, you've caused my son even more suffering."

Yeonjun nodded, his gaze still fixed on his hands. "I know," he whispered, his voice choked with emotion. "I regret it every day... I wish I could go back and change things, but I can't..."

"But why now?" Mrs. Choi suddenly asked, turning her head to Yeonjun, "Why did you decide to come back now?"

The heavy silence lingered between them, fraught with unspoken emotions. Mrs. Choi's question hung in the air, a weighty reminder of the tumultuous journey that had brought them to this moment.

Yeonjun hesitated, his mind grappling with the truth he was reluctant to admit. Yet, he couldn't say it, afraid that Mrs. Choi might hate him more because of the truth.