chapter 17: discovering the betrayal

As Yeonjun parked his car in front of the flower shop, he watched as Beomgyu began closing up for the day

As Yeonjun parked his car in front of the flower shop, he watched as Beomgyu began closing up for the day. The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm golden glow over the storefront and bathing everything in a soft, ethereal light.

Stepping out of his car, Yeonjun made his way towards the shop, his heart fluttering with anticipation at the sight of Beomgyu. Despite the events of the day, being here with the boy brought a sense of peace and comfort that he desperately needed.

"Hey, Beomgyu-ah," Yeonjun called out, a smile spreading across his face as he approached. "I hope I'm not too late."

Beomgyu turned around, his eyes lighting up a bit at the sight of Yeonjun. "Yeonjunnie hyung!" he said in joy but Yeonjun felt like it was a bit forced as he could see the signs of exhaustion in the boy's tone and face, "You're just in time."

Yeonjun's smile faltered slightly as he noticed the fatigue etched in Beomgyu's features. "Beomgyu-ah, are you okay?" he asked, concern lacing his voice. "You seem a bit tired."

Beomgyu waved off his concern with a dismissive gesture, but the weariness in his eyes betrayed his attempt at nonchalance. "Ah, it's nothing, just a long day at work," he replied with a forced smile. "But seeing you here brightens up my day."

Yeonjun's heart twinged at Beomgyu's attempt to hide his exhaustion, his concern deepening. "You shouldn't overwork yourself," he said gently, placing a comforting hand on Beomgyu's shoulder. "Are you really okay? Don't lie to me."

Beomgyu's lips formed a slight pout as he confessed, his usually lively eyes clouded with a little weariness. "I've been feeling more sick than usual these days," he admitted, his voice tinged with frustration and exhaustion, and a little hint of vulnerability, "I can't get rid of it..."

Yeonjun's expression softened further at Beomgyu's admission, his concern deepening. "I'm sorry to hear that," he said sympathetically, his hand squeezing Beomgyu's shoulder gently. "How do you exactly feel?"

Beomgyu let out a sigh, his shoulders slumping slightly as he tried to find the words to describe his condition. "It's like... my chest feels tight, and I have trouble catching my breath sometimes," he explained, his voice tinged with a hint of anxiety. "And I've been feeling more tired than usual, even after resting."

Yeonjun's brows furrowed with worry as he listened to Beomgyu's symptoms. "Are you maybe stressed out?"

Beomgyu shook his head slowly, his expression reflecting a mix of resignation and discomfort. "Not really," he admitted reluctantly. "You never give me a chance to worry."

Yeonjun smiled warmly at Beomgyu's words, but behind the facade of reassurance, he couldn't shake off the worry that gnawed at his insides. "Do you want me to take you straight to home?" he asked, his voice soft yet earnest. "Maybe you want to get some rest."

Beomgyu shook his head, a faint blush coloring his cheeks as he met Yeonjun's concerned gaze. "Actually, I don't want to go home," he admitted quietly. "I... I feel scared there sometimes. I'd rather spend time with you. You make me feel better."