chapter 4: bitter love's end

A new morning brought a new day of work at the flower shop, and Beomgyu found solace in the routine of his job

A new morning brought a new day of work at the flower shop, and Beomgyu found solace in the routine of his job. Huening Kai was with him from the morning since he had his lectures scheduled for the evening. His presence brought a sense of comfort to Beomgyu, easing the lingering anxiety that had plagued him the night before.

Together, they spent the day arranging bouquets and assisting customers as usual, their easy banter and shared laughter filling the shop with warmth and joy. Despite the worries weighing on Beomgyu's mind, he found moments of peace and contentment in his friend's company.

As Beomgyu stood at the counter, engaged in conversation with Huening Kai, he caught a glimpse of a familiar face out of the corner of his eye. The rude customer from his first day of work was browsing the flowers as if trying to choose one. Beomgyu's heart skipped a beat as he watched the stranger, a sense of unease creeping over him remembering his unpleasant first encounter with him. The guy looked exactly as exhausted and indifferent as then with the same grumpy frown drawn between his brows, and Beomgyu wondered if he ever was in a good mood or well rested.

Turning to Huening Kai, Beomgyu asked quietly, "Does that guy come here often?"

Huening Kai glanced at the customer curiously after hearing his question, furrowing his brows in confusion. "I'm seeing him for the first time," he replied, his voice tinged with uncertainty. "Why are you asking?"

"He is really rude," Beomgyu muttered in annoyance, remembering the harsh treatment he received from that guy on his first day of work.

Beomgyu's stomach churned with apprehension as he watched the stranger, a sense of familiarity tugging at the edges of his memory again. He stared shamelessly at the guy who was looking at the tulips with a strange and unreadable expression in his eyes as if he wanted to buy them, but couldn't dare to. Beomgyu couldn't shake off the feeling that there was something about the guy that he should remember, something that stirred a sense of discomfort deep within him, especially, in his heart.

Putting on a fake smile and friendly expression, Beomgyu approached the guy, his voice cheery as he asked, "Good afternoon! Can I help you with something?"

The guy glanced at him from the side, his eyes cold and unfriendly, muttering to himself, "You again?"

Beomgyu was taken aback by the guy's response, but he quickly recovered, offering a sassy retort. "Oh, sorry to disappoint you, but I'm afraid you'll have to put up with seeing my face a little longer."

The guy's lips tightened into a thin line, his expression growing even more hostile. "Don't get smart with me, kid. Just give me the damn vodka," he snapped, his tone laced with irritation.

Beomgyu's smile faltered at the guy's harsh tone, but he forced himself to maintain his composure. "Of course. Right this way."

As Beomgyu led the guy to the shelf where they kept the alcoholic beverages, the tension between them was palpable. Beomgyu couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that the guy's presence brought, but he pushed it aside, focusing on his task instead.