chapter 3: a nagging anxiety

The night had dawned upon the city when Beomgyu's mom returned home from work

The night had dawned upon the city when Beomgyu's mom returned home from work. She worked as a nurse in a nearby hospital and had a really busy graphic, so Beomgyu rarely used to see her at home. It was really bad since he hated being alone. Maybe he had Taehyun by his side all the time in the past but now Beomgyu was feeling like the boy didn't even want to see his face anymore, though he didn't know what made Taehyun drift away from him so much.

Beomgyu sighed as he watched his mom kick off her worn-out shoes and slump onto the couch. The fatigue in her eyes was palpable, but she still managed to force a tired smile when she noticed him sitting in the corner, not wanting to appear tired in his eyes. But Beomgyu could still notice it - the burden on her shoulders that had been there ever since his father left. And what made him feel worse was the fact that Beomgyu was only adding more to her burden by his health condition. He had made his mother go through too much pain and suffering, and realizing it hurt really bad.

"Hey, kiddo," she said, her voice laced with exhaustion. "How was your day?

Beomgyu shrugged, unsure of how to respond. There was an ache in his heart that had been growing ever since Taehyun started pulling away. He missed their late-night talks and laughter that now seemed like distant memories.

His mom observed his downcast expression and patted the empty space beside her on the couch. "Come here, Beomgyu."

He hesitated for a moment before mustering the courage to join her. As he curled up beside his mom, he felt a warmth enveloping him like a protective shield against the world outside. He felt so safe like that, as if even the biggest storm in the world couldn't reach him in his mother's protective arms.

"Are you okay, my cutie pie? Did you not like your new job?"

Beomgyu let out a sigh, resting his head against his mom's shoulder in a tired manner. "It was okay, mom. I really liked working there."

He went silent after that which was a signal for his mother that something was wrong with her son, though Beomgyu looked like he had difficulty talking about it.

His mom gently ran her fingers through his hair, waiting patiently for him to open up. Beomgyu could feel her warmth and unconditional love radiating from her touch. That's exactly why he didn't want to talk about it - he didn't want to make her sad.

Finally, he decided to speak, his voice barely above a whisper. "It's just... Taehyun. He's been acting different lately. We used to be so close, but now it feels like he doesn't even want to be around me."

His mom tightened her grip on him, her voice filled with concern. "Oh, my sweet boy. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Have you tried talking to him about it?"

Beomgyu nodded, a hint of sadness in his eyes. "I tried, but he just brushed it off. He says nothing's wrong, but I can tell something has changed. It hurts, mom."