chapter 21: coming back to you

The sterile hospital ward felt suffocating, the air heavy with the weight of unspoken fears and lingering despair

The sterile hospital ward felt suffocating, the air heavy with the weight of unspoken fears and lingering despair. Beomgyu lay on his side, curled into a ball, his body trembling with exhaustion and pain. His eyes, once bright and full of life, were now dull and red-rimmed from endless tears and sleepless nights.

Beside him, his mother sat with a plate of food in her lap, her eyes filled with worry as she pleaded with him to eat. "Please, Beomgyu," she urged, her voice soft and desperate. "You need to eat something. You'll feel better, I promise."

But Beomgyu refused to even look at her, his gaze fixed on some distant point beyond the confines of the hospital room. He shook his head weakly, his voice barely above a whisper. "I'm not hungry," he murmured, his words heavy with resignation.

His mother's heart ached at his refusal, her own eyes welling with tears as she watched her son withdraw further into himself. She longed to ease his pain, to chase away the shadows that haunted him, but she felt powerless in the face of his silent suffering.

With a heavy sigh, she set the plate of food aside, her hands trembling with frustration and grief. She reached out to gently stroke Beomgyu's hair, her touch a silent gesture of love and comfort in the midst of their shared anguish.

But Beomgyu remained unmoved, lost in his own private torment as he wrestled with the demons that haunted his troubled mind. And in that desolate hospital ward, surrounded by the quiet hum of medical equipment and the oppressive weight of uncertainty, they both found themselves adrift in a sea of pain, longing for the light of hope to guide them through the darkness.

Beomgyu's mind was a tumultuous sea of memories and emotions, each wave crashing against the shores of his consciousness with relentless force. He could still vividly remember the day Yeonjun left him, the ache of abandonment piercing his heart like a dagger. It was a betrayal that cut deep, leaving him feeling adrift and alone in a world that had grown cold and indifferent.

As he lay in the hospital bed, his thoughts turned to the loneliness that had become his constant companion. He had lost not only Yeonjun but also his best friend and Taehyun, their absence leaving a void that seemed impossible to fill. And now, faced with the specter of his own mortality, he found himself grappling with the idea of death in a way he never had before.

Death was no longer a distant fear but a familiar companion, a shadow that loomed over him like a specter of inevitability. In the silence of the hospital ward, he found himself longing for the peace and escape that death promised, a respite from the relentless pain and suffering that had become his reality.

Every day followed the same monotonous routine in Beomgyu's life. Nurses would come and go, administering supplements through the IV drip - one reason being him refusing to eat. Their gentle prodding was a constant reminder of his deteriorating health. Beomgyu's refusal to eat had taken its toll on his body, leaving him weak and exhausted. Each injection brought a wave of weariness, leaving him feeling drained and depleted.