chapter 5: a lonely birthday

As the first rays of morning sunlight filtered through the curtains, Beomgyu stirred from his sleep, feeling an unfamiliar weight pressing down on his chest

As the first rays of morning sunlight filtered through the curtains, Beomgyu stirred from his sleep, feeling an unfamiliar weight pressing down on his chest. He blinked groggily, his mind foggy with remnants of a restless night's sleep. Rolling over, he reached for his phone on the nightstand, squinting at the bright screen as he unlocked it.

With a sinking feeling in his stomach, Beomgyu realized that he wasn't feeling well. His head throbbed with a dull ache, and a wave of nausea washed over him as he sat up in bed. The events of the previous day flooded back to him, the pain of the breakup with Taehyun and the latter's harsh actions still raw and palpable.

Despite his initial resolve to face the day head-on, Beomgyu knew that he wasn't in any condition to go to work that morning. He felt physically and emotionally drained, his body heavy with exhaustion and grief. With a heavy sigh, he reached for his phone and composed a message to Huening Kai, his fingers trembling slightly as he typed.

To: my dolphin 🐬

"Hey, Kai. I'm not feeling well this morning. I think I need to take the day off work. Sorry for the short notice. Can you cover for me today? Thanks."

Sending the message, Beomgyu lay back down on his bed, his eyes closing as he tried to push away the overwhelming sense of fatigue and despair that threatened to consume him. He knew that he needed to take care of himself and allow himself the time and space to heal, even if it meant taking a step back from his responsibilities for a day.

As he drifted in and out of consciousness, Beomgyu couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt for leaving Huening Kai to manage the flower shop alone. He knew that his friend would understand, but the thought of letting him down still weighed heavily on his mind.

Despite his best efforts to fall back asleep, Beomgyu found himself tossing and turning restlessly, his mind racing with thoughts of Taehyun and the painful memories of their relationship. Each time he closed his eyes, he was haunted by images of their time together, the laughter and joy now tainted by the bitter sting of betrayal and heartache.

Hours passed in a blur, and before Beomgyu knew it, the sun had climbed higher in the sky, casting a warm glow through the window. He checked his phone to find a message from Huening Kai, assuring him that he had everything under control at the shop and urging him to focus on taking care of himself.

Feeling a sense of relief wash over him, Beomgyu allowed himself to relax, knowing that he had a friend who would always be there for him, even in his darkest moments.

As Beomgyu lay in bed, lost in the haze of his thoughts, he heard the soft creak of the door opening, followed by the gentle sound of footsteps approaching his bed. Opening his eyes, he saw his mother standing there, a concerned expression etched on her face as she held a tray of food and a glass of milk.

"Hey, sweetheart," she said softly, her voice laced with worry. "I brought you some breakfast. I thought it might help settle your stomach."

Beomgyu managed a weak smile, touched by his mother's thoughtfulness in his time of distress. Sitting up slowly, he shifted to make room for her on the edge of the bed as she placed the tray across his lap.