chapter 25: recovery

Another day at the hospital dawned, the sunlight filtering softly through the windows, casting a warm glow over the room

Another day at the hospital dawned, the sunlight filtering softly through the windows, casting a warm glow over the room. Yeonjun sat on the couch, his gaze fixed on Beomgyu as a nurse carefully conducted a check-up, administering injections and drawing blood. Despite the noticeable progress in Beomgyu's health, Yeonjun couldn't help but feel a pang of discomfort watching the medical procedures.

Each poke and prodding made him wince inwardly, especially when the nurse struggled to find a vein, resulting in bruises marring Beomgyu's delicate skin. It was a reminder of the fragility of their situation, and Yeonjun wished he could spare Beomgyu from the discomfort and pain of these procedures. Yet, he knew they were necessary for his recovery, and he could only offer silent support from where he sat, his heart aching with each wince and grimace from the boy he cared for deeply.

Unable to bear it any longer, Yeonjun rose from his seat and approached the nurse and Beomgyu. With determination in his eyes, he gently intervened, saying, "Let me do it instead."

The nurse hesitated, looking at him with uncertainty while Beomgyu looked up at the male with hopeful eyes, hoping he'd save him from that torture, "I'm sorry, Mr. Choi, but I'm assigned to do this," the nurse insisted, her voice tinged with reluctance.

Yeonjun met her gaze with a determined expression. "I understand, but Jimin won't mind. Please, let me do this for him," he pleaded softly, his eyes reflecting both concern and resolve.

After a moment of hesitation, the nurse relented, handing him the equipment. "Okay," she cautioned, her tone filled with a mix of apprehension and relief.

As Yeonjun met Beomgyu's thankful gaze, he felt a surge of warmth flood his heart. In those vulnerable eyes, he saw gratitude and trust, emotions that spoke volumes despite the absence of words. With a soft smile, Yeonjun moved closer, taking a seat beside Beomgyu.

Gently, he tightened the belt on Beomgyu's upper arm, just enough to make the veins more prominent. It was a small gesture, but one that he hoped would alleviate some of the discomfort. As he worked, Yeonjun's heart swelled with tenderness for the boy beside him, his touch gentle and reassuring as he silently conveyed his unwavering support and care.

With keen eyes honed by experience, Yeonjun observed the veins on Beomgyu's arm, assessing their condition with a professional eye and a thumb brushing against the younger's bruised skin. He noted the delicate network of blue lines beneath the skin, searching for the optimal point for the needle insertion.

Dampening a piece of cotton with alcohol, Yeonjun gently swabbed the area around the found vein, ensuring it was clean and sterilized. Sensing Beomgyu's tension, he offered a reassuring smile and soothing words.

"Relax your muscles," Yeonjun advised softly, his gaze meeting Beomgyu's with understanding. "Just breathe and let your arm go limp. It'll make it easier."

Beomgyu nodded, trying to heed Yeonjun's instructions as he willed his muscles to relax, the tension slowly melting away under Yeonjun's calming presence.