Chapter 90

We left the courtroom without saying much

We left the courtroom without saying much. I was still trying to come to terms with everything that had happened, and Chan didn't want to push me. The news of Holden's attack spread quickly, and I spent most of the car ride to the hotel reassuring my family and friends that I was okay. It was a lie.

I found it amusing that some of the same people who had publicly berated me as a false reporter because of JYP's article with Holden's quote, were now messaging me saying that they always knew he was a horrible person. I blocked them all.

We made it back to the hotel, and I dropped to the ground to undo the clasps on my heels.

Chan stood over me with an expression that I couldn't quite read until he dropped to sit beside me, undoing my other shoe. "You are..." he began and shook his head in disbelief while he tried to find the right words, "the most courageous person I've ever met."

I looked at him confused, "What are you talking about? I nearly died."

"Exactly," he began. "You nearly died, and you still collected yourself to go back in to face him. I mean...even being there was brave given everything that he's done to you, but going back in after that..." Chan stared at me in awe, and then stood to help me stand now that my shoes were off.

"You would've done the same thing," I told him.

"I didn't even want to go back in today, and I hadn't even been his target. You're so incredibly brave and strong, Ella."

I couldn't help but tear up upon hearing him say that so wholeheartedly. It had been such a long, emotional, and exhausting day.

"Thank you," I muttered as I embraced him. He kissed my forehead sweetly.

"I was so scared for you," he confessed. I recalled the fear in his eyes and the anger he had channeled to hurt Holden so I could be freed.

"I was scared, too. I couldn't breathe and I..." my voice cracked, and I squeezed him tighter. "Even hours later, I can still feel Holden breathing down my neck while he fought with you. I was terrified that I'd die, and the last thing I'd see would be you afraid."

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Ella," Chan whispered as he held me tightly. "You're my whole world." I didn't want him to let go. It had been such a long day, and we still had JYP to deal with when we got back to Los Angeles.

I looked up and kissed his cheek. Chan gazed down at me with tears rolling down his face. I stood tall and pressed my lips to his.

Chan was slow and gentle and kind, and I got butterflies at the lightest touch.

"I'm so happy you're safe," he whispered when we pulled away.