Chapter 89

Chan and I stayed in for the evening, remaining awake as late as our tired eyes would allow us (until about 11 pm) while eating a bunch of junk food and watching horrible movies

Chan and I stayed in for the evening, remaining awake as late as our tired eyes would allow us (until about 11 pm) while eating a bunch of junk food and watching horrible movies. It kept our minds occupied while requiring very little energy.

We were glad that the videos were removed, but so many people had already seen them. I wasn't sure how the final show would go, or if we'd be able to avoid our parents finding out that the videos existed and that they were real. So far, it seemed they hadn't heard about them which I was very grateful for. I didn't have it in me to deal with that right now.

The next morning, I woke up feeling extremely nervous. Nervous about the potential for our parents to find the videos. Nervous about JYP. Nervous that there was a chance Holden could walk away with just a short sentence, and that I'd have to fear for my life again when he got out...

Chan dressed in a suit, and I wore a respectable-looking black dress and kitten heels. The Florida sun was already beating down on us when we walked out to our Uber.

"Are you ready for this?" he asked me gently. I knew he could tell I was hiding inside myself. I was afraid to even think about Holden, and yet, I'd have to face him all over again.

I shook my head from side to side and gripped his hand for support.

"I'll be there, Ella. Just pretend you're talking just to me, okay?" he muttered sweetly.

"Okay," I sighed.

When we pulled up to the courthouse, there were cameras flashing at us from every direction. Fortunately, I'd grown used to it, and we were able to bypass their questions by sticking by an officer who guided us inside safely.

They checked my purse and used a metal detector to make sure we didn't have anything dangerous before allowing us into the main lobby. It smelled mildewy and the floor was dull from wear with scuff marks from leather shoes left behind by defendant and victim alike.

"Right this way," the officer motioned, leading us down a long hallway with worn wooden paneling. I reached for Chan's hand again. He matched his steps to mine since I wasn't comfortable in heels, and I was grateful that he didn't make me speed walk to keep up with the officer who was pretty far ahead of us.

The officer paused in front of a doorway and opened it when we finally made it to him. He showed us to a pair of seats and explained that they'd call us up individually to provide our witness testimony. Chan would go first and then me.

I nodded, and my stomach churned as I realized how close I was to having to face Holden again. I squeezed Chan's hand anxiously as the cop left us alone. I was a sweaty, anxious wreck and my leg bounced in anticipation of the moment I'd see him again.