HOWL

If you could only see the beast you made of me

I held it in, but now it seems you set it running free

You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl

HOWL

(a 'The Quarry' fanfic)

The saints can't help me now, the rope's unbound...

*

For many kids and teenagers, summer camp was a pivotal moment of their lives, a cornerstone in their coming of age tales against the sticky heat of summer, campfire ghost stories and songs, marshmallows roasted over the flames and passionate summer flings that die out as quickly as they had begun—and, of course, an excellent, if cliche, setting of horror movies.

Though sometimes, the movies don't just always lie.

This is true, in both cases, for the camp counsellors of Hackett's Quarry Summer Camp, and especially four different but tenacious girls who endured their coming of age against a full moon and the howling of wolves.

*

If you told Hayden Furcillo that she and her twin brother, Nick, would spend their winter uni break at an American summer camp they hadn't heard of until two months ago, she would have laughed in your face.

After all, Hayden had fun surfing the waves with Nick along the coasts of Burleigh Heads despite the cold water, seeing the humpback whales migrate with either her friends or Nick when she managed to get him out of the house and driving the nine-minute drive in the beat-up Toyota Ute that was a shared sixteenth birthday present to the headland at practically dawn to see the whales swim past, practicing her guitar, doing any uni assignments allotted over the break or researching her passion topic of wolves and, on a lesser but still fascinating note, werewolf mythologies.