CHAPTER THIRTEEN: AT THE LODGE

Chapter Thirteen: At The Lodge

(Don't Panic, Part 2)

***

They managed to get back to the lodge without running into any creatures or maniacs who poured blood on your face and tried to drag your injured brother away to God-knows-where.

At the sight of it, Hayden's tense shoulders relaxed. Once they were inside, they would be safe and so would Jacob and Emma when they came here. They could call for help, actually treat Sarah's and Nick's and Abi's injuries, and wait until help arrived and they could all get out of here.

Nick...

Hayden cast a look at Nick, lying in the wheelbarrow. He looked slightly less in pain, but that could be him putting on a brave face for them all, especially for her and Allison. Her eyes trailed to his leg, heart climbing into her throat as she looked at the bite, black lines creeping out, all the blood covering her brother, so much blood. 

He would be okay. He had to be okay.

Hayden couldn't think of a situation where he wouldn't be.

"How are you going?" Hayden asked Nick softly, worriedly.

"Okay. Feeling pretty hungry, actually," Nick answered.

A flicker of confusion speared through Hayden's worry, but she shook it away as she gave Nick's shoulder a comforting squeeze before stepping back so she wasn't in Ryan's space, casting a look at Nora and Sarah. The injured girl nodded to say she was fine, too.

When they stopped, Allison and Abi warned Ryan in unison, "Easy!"

"I got it. He's okay," Ryan assured as he let go the wheelbarrow.

After he did, Allison kneeled down and asked, "Hey, Nick, are you in any pain?"

"Nah. Nah, sorry, I'm just... I'm really hungry," Nick answered.

"I'm feeling pretty hungry as well," Sarah admitted, before she frowned. "That's weird, right?"

"No, it's good. If you're both hungry, that means it'll be easier to give you food and keep your energy up," Allison said, before she looked at Nick and added, "We'll get you and Sarah some food. After Kaitlyn and I look at your injuries first, okay?"

"Yeah, okay," Nick muttered as Sarah nodded.

Allison looked at Hayden, giving her a nod as together, they helped Nick out of the wheelbarrow as he said, "Oh man, I could eat a horse."

Hayden tried to crack a grin. "I see your sense of humour hasn't taken any hits, Nicky."

"Yeah, well, I don't know if there's any horses in there, but probably some granola," Allison informed once she and Hayden got him fully out of the wheelbarrow.