CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: LAURA'S STORY

Chapter Twenty-One: Laura's Story

(The Past Behind Us)

***

After having a silent stare-down for a minute, Dylan broke it as he asked Laura, "So, uh... why didn't you come?"

"Where have you been for the past two months?" Ryan demanded, suspicion in his tone.

"And where's the other guy that was supposed to show up? Max?" Allison grilled.

"We did come. One night early," Laura revealed, before adding bitterly, "That was our mistake."

"Care to elaborate on that?" Nora questioned.

"Sure," Laura responded drily. "If you'll let me in?"

At the pointed question, she looked at Ryan and Allison, weapons still raised and pointed at her.

"Guys, lower the weapons and let her in. If she and Max were here one night early, then she must know what's going on," Hayden hissed.

"Hayden's right. No harm in hearing what she has to say," Kaitlyn agreed.

"And it might explain what happened to Nick and Sarah," Abi added.

Ryan and Allison exchanged a look before lowering their weapons and allowing Laura to come in.

"Thank you," she muttered as she sat down in a chair, the rest of them sitting down on the seats in the same area Hayden, Dylan, Ryan and Kaitlyn had been in earlier.

"Like I said, me and Max came here one night early. We got lost, then we swerved off the road after almost hitting an animal. A local cop helped us back on the road before directing us to a motel to stay for the night," Laura explained. A rueful, bitter smile curved up her face, stretching the scars, before she went on, "We didn't listen and decided to push on to Hackett's Quarry. When we got there, no one was home. We decided to look around and I saw someone, or I thought I saw someone, in the storm cellar. I used some tools of Max's to break open the lock and we went inside. A few minutes later..."

Laura swallowed, pain flashing across her face as she forced out, "Something attacked Max—nearly mauled him to death. I dragged him up the stairs, but it just pulled him back down. Then... everything went black. And when I woke up, I was in a jail cell and watching the same cop that gave us directions drag Max into a cell, and then warn me that 'This was gonna get a little messy'. A few seconds later, I heard something explode and then growling before I fell asleep."

Laura paused for breath before she continued, "The next thing I knew, I was in an office, handcuffed and sitting in a chair, that same cop in front of me and interrogating me, asking me questions like my name, about my boyfriend, and why we were going to Hackett's Quarry instead of the motel. It's where I saw his badge and name tag—Sheriff T. Hackett."