CHAPTER SIX: TRAIL TALKS

Chapter Six: Trail Talks

(Truth Or Dare, Part 2)

***

The woods were a contrast of light and shadow.

Late afternoon sunlight poured in through the branches of the canopies and the open spaces of the trail winding through the woods and lit everything up in warm tones of gold. Where the sunlight didn't touch, dark shadows pooled, concealing things from sight. Birds sung, invisible in trees that were still and watchful without the wind, rising up against the man-made openness of the trail and the rock walls at the back leading to more woods.

It was a calming, peaceful sight. And despite being busy in finding firewood, Hayden felt herself relaxing as the peace of the woods in the late afternoon sunlight settled over her.

Apparently, the peace wasn't for all.

Beside her, Nick sighed and grumbled, "This would be a lot easier with Mr. H's chainsaw."

"Absolutely," Allison muttered, glowering at the bundle of sticks in her hand. 

"You with a chainsaw is a terrifying image, Nick," Hayden muttered, passing her sticks over to her other hand.

"It's really very pretty out here when there's no kids around," Abi observed.

"Definitely," Hayden agreed, looking around and once more taking in the peace and serenity of the woods around her.

"Yeah, they can get kinda obnoxious, huh?" Nick noted.

"Yeah."

"I'll say. The amount of times I had to bench a kid because they weren't following my instructions or not caring about basic safety..." Allison grumbled, glaring.

"I don't know what you guys are talking about. They were perfectly angelic with me," Hayden said. At the disbelieving looks sent her way, Hayden admitted, "Okay, some of them were devils, but most of them were great. And I love kids anyway, so..."

She shrugged as they kept on walking, thinking over when she taught the kids music. Sure, some of them could be little shits, but most of them had listened to her, had been invested in what she had to say and teach. That had her love of kids and love of teaching kids grow even more, had her feel more encouraged—and hopeful—about being a teacher, and being a good teacher who was loved by the kids. That in itself, to know she was a kid's favourite teacher, would make all the hours of studying and assignments and teacher practice all worth it.

"Yeah, they always seemed to listen to you and Abi when she did painting class than most of us," Allison observed.

"I don't know, I think they listen to you during archery class," Nick countered.

Allison rolled her eyes. "Yeah, after I yell at them when one gets too careless with an arrow."

"Well, yeah, but they still listen to you. I've seen it," Nick told her.