CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: CONFRONTATION

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Confrontation

(The Matriarch, Part 2)

***

Shit.

That was the only thing running through Allison's mind as she stood there, frozen, in the red-lit room as Laura's and the matriarch's voices echoed down to her, joining the growls coming from Nick still in the cage. Terror spiked in intervals inside Allison, heart thumping so loudly they must be hearing it, hearing the heartbeat of the girl with silver arrows beneath their feet.

The girl the Hacketts didn't know was there, right underneath them. Yet.

Allison breathed shakily, trying to control her panicked thoughts and calm down and think over her precarious situation, to slip into the same focus she had when being in doctor mode. She hadn't been discovered—only Ryan and Laura had been, and while Ryan had escaped Allison doubted he'd been free for long. He wouldn't tell them she was here—Allison knew unquestioningly that Ryan would never sell her out. Laura... she didn't know if she would, if it meant getting free and killing Chris. And even if they talked or not, Allison would still be discovered in due time, depending how long that time was and how much she had of it left.

That left her with two options—either hide and pray to God she wouldn't be found, or get out and try to do something.

Both options would lead to her discovery either way. It just depended on how quickly she wanted to be found.

"Shit," Allison whispered, looking at the ceiling as she thought over her options, heart stuttering at the voices again, running a hand through her hair. "Shit, what should I do?"

A growl was her only response.

"Thanks for your input, Nick," she muttered flatly as he growled again. Only then did Allison realise the growls were probably masking her voice unintentionally—and prolonging her discovery. 

But how long would that last?

She needed to make a decision—and soon.

Forcing herself to move, Allison paced up and down, hands on her hips as she sighed, trying to figure out a way she could get out of here alive. So far, hiding and then leaving when the danger temporarily passed seemed like the better option that wouldn't get her killed—and, if she played her cards right, that could maybe guarantee her rescuing Laura and Ryan as she held the advantage of surprise. But if she ran now, could sneak upstairs and save them, then maybe she could do it, and try not to get killed in the process.

If she could time it right, planned it right for the second option...

The thump of her quiver on her back had Allison keenly realise one fact—she had a limited number of silver arrows. If she missed a single shot while rescuing Ryan and Laura, she wouldn't be able to recover it. And after losing five to the water back in the caved-mines, Allison couldn't lose any more arrows if she wanted to kill Chris and cure Nick.