CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: CATWALKS AND TALKS

Chapter Twenty-Four: Catwalks And Talks

(The Belly Of The Beast, Part 3)

***

The stairs clanged under Allison's feet—not that noticeable, but in the otherwise silent underground quarry, they were as loud as gunshots.

Allison's fingers were tight on the bow and string as she, Laura and Ryan walked onto a landing, seeing more rocky walls and scaffolding.  A prickle of unease trickled down her spine as she whispered to Ryan, "Do you trust this?"

Ryan shook his head, affirming to her that he didn't trust it. That he was as unnerved as Allison was.

"This place is eerie," she muttered—just as a voice rang out.

Silas.

Only by a second did Allison stop herself from releasing the arrow, heart pounding frenetically in her chest as she looked around wildly. That voice... it was the same voice from the woods.

But how?

"Did you hear that?" Laura whispered.

Allison nodded. "Yeah. Kinda hard not to hear it. Fucking creepy..."

"It's her," Ryan said.

"Who?" Allison and Laura asked in unison.

"The Hag of Hackett's Quarry," Ryan revealed. "It's like she's warning us off."

"Or guiding us," Laura countered.

"Or leading us into a trap," Allison muttered, eyeing the quarry even more warily than she had before as she wanted to scream. First, werewolves existed, now ghosts? What next? Vampires?

Allison swallowed that back as she kept the arrow ready, the string as taut as her muscles. They continued walking, heading up another set of stairs and over a steel catwalk and as they did, part of the railing fell off.

"Oh whoa!" Ryan exclaimed.

"Oh shit! Be careful," Laura warned.

"No need to tell me twice," Alison said, eyeing the drop warily. She had a feeling if she fell this time, it wouldn't end with her wet and losing a few arrows.

As the railing clattered noisily against the ground, Ryan turned to them and asked worriedly, "You think anyone heard that?"

"No. They can't have done," Laura answered.

"But maybe we should be prepared, in case they did," Allison interjected.

"Yeah. Sure," Laura said, holding her gun tighter.

"This place is not up to code," Ryan remarked.

Allison snorted. "I was thinking the exact same thing."