CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: PREDATOR AND PREY

Chapter Twenty-Six: Predator And Prey

(The Belly Of The Beast, Part 5)

***

Nora's heart hadn't stopped pounding the moment she charged into the woods and kept running.

In hindsight, she knew that was a stupid idea—God, if this was a horror movie she'd be laughing at herself for making such a stupid decision—but when that werewolf had charged... Nora hadn't been thinking. She'd just run into the woods to try and get away before she was ripped apart.

A distant howl sounded, making Nora's heartbeat stutter as she came to a stop, whirling around as she clutched her axe tightly, ignoring the rank smell wafting off from the blood staining it, straining her eyes to search the shadows for any sign of a werewolf leaping out to kill her.

It could try.

But nothing appeared out of the shadows as the night stilled around her, Nora's wild heartbeat the only frenetic thing in the woods.

Panting heavily, Nora lowered her arms, feeling everything inside her shake with fear and adrenaline as she stood there in the woods alone, with only an axe that had a silver bracelet to really give her a sliver of a chance.

And breaking the rule she'd been preaching ever since Jacob returned to their group before leaving again, before the nightmare started.

"Fuck," Nora breathed, sucking in air as she hunched over and pushed back her hair slipping over her shoulder. "Way to go, Nora. Run into the woods. Totally won't get you killed at all."

Letting out another pant, Nora straightened up as she looked around, one hand still around the axe. She needed to find her way back to the others—especially if the wildlife decided to say hi again.

Turning in what she hoped was the way she'd come back from, Nora marched back, flinching at every noise, every movement, every snapped twig and rustling bush. The full moon lit up her path somewhat so she wasn't stumbling blind, and yet Nora would feel a lot better when she was out of the woods and with the others. That, maybe, Kaitlyn fixed the van and they would all get out of here.

As she walked, the moonlight caught the silver bracelet wound around the axe's blade, glinting softly against the blood. Nora looked at it, her heart lurching.

Sarah... was she okay? Nora knew now she hadn't killed her—that nothing except silver could kill her—and she was probably the safest of them all now that she had turned along with Nick, but that didn't mean Nora didn't worry, didn't mean her heart was consumed by guilt for striking against her girlfriend even though she told Nora to do it, that doing it would save her life as was quickly proven when she'd transformed and almost clawed Nora's face off. That she was filled with rage and the desire to use her silver-wrapped axe to chop the head off the werewolf that bit her girlfriend and free her and Nick in the process and get Sarah back to her.