CHAPTER TWELVE: OF BITE MARKS AND MANIACS IN THE WOODS

Chapter Twelve: Of Bite Marks And Maniacs In The Woods

(Don't Panic)

***

At the bonfire, the air was tense as Nora tended to Sarah's injury while Abi, face still pale, tried to recount as much as she could remember to them all. To remember the creature that had stalked and then attacked them. A few metres away, Dylan, Ryan and Hayden were helping Nick after Ryan, Allison, Hayden and Nick came back from the woods minutes earlier, bloodied and ashen-faced, Nick's leg a ruin, the wound inflicted by an unknown creature, the same creature Abi was trying to tell them all.

The creature that had hurt Nick and Sarah.

"It was horrible... it was... I-I-I-I don't even know what it was. It was so fast and-and there was... there was a hunter.. and it was just... it was just..." Abi stammered out, fear tripping her words as Kaitlyn, Dylan and Nora listened in silence, before it trailed off in a frightened breath.

Nora's lips thinned as she looked at Sarah, pain still making her eyes glassy and her face still unnaturally pale, before she winced as Nora pressed the fabric deeper onto the wound. The minute she got back, Nora had stripped off her oversize black shirt with a slogan on it and pressed it against Sarah's injury to stem the blood flow, leaving Nora now in just a white tank top that was soon flecked with her girlfriend's blood, shorts and sneakers. And despite the warm summer air, goosebumps chilled Nora's skin whenever she saw the blood, whenever she remembered seeing Sarah stumble out of the woods, bloody, injured and terrified, hurt from whatever monster Abi was trying to describe.

And while from the looks of Sarah's and Nick's injuries, Nick had gotten it the worse, that was an image that would never leave Nora's brain for as long as she lived.

"Oh, Abi..." Kaitlyn murmured as, out of the corner of her eye, Nora saw Kaitlyn bend down and get Abi's sketchbook and pencil out of her bag and hand it to her, saying, "Here."

"What?"

"Try drawing."

'Drawing what?" Abi pressed.

"Can you draw what attacked you and Sarah?" Kaitlyn asked.

Nora nodded. "It might help Sarah recognise it as well."

Abi didn't say anything, but over the crackle of the bonfire, Nora heard the scratch of pencil on paper. Refocusing on Sarah, she asked, "Sarah, are you okay?"

Sarah looked at her, and despite her pale features and the pain in her gaze, she cracked a small smile. "Never better."

Nora frowned, knowing her girlfriend was joking to cope, as she lifted the shirt, seeing the wound that, with the blood having been dabbed away by Nora's shirt, she could see it looked like a bite wound, raw and brutal.