CHAPTER NINETEEN: TRANSFORMATION

Chapter Nineteen: Transformation

(Prayers By Night, Part 2)

***

Tension hung heavy in the pool house.

After getting inside and setting Nick down and getting several towels and a heater working to dry him off, Hayden had then grabbed herself a towel and dried off as much as she could. From there, they separated into two groups—Allison staying with Nick, Hayden, Kaitlyn, Abi, Dylan and Ryan sitting together and Nora and Sarah in a corner together. Outside, thunder boomed as rain sheeted down, amping up the uneasy atmosphere that had lasted ever since the pool and leaving them inside until the rain died down and they could move on.

And hope neither the hunters or the monster would be searching for them in the rain.

As she sat next to Nick, making sure he was dry, Allison checked her bow and arrows were also dry—God knows she didn't need them wet and warping tonight—when she heard Nick mumble, "Allison..."

Allison turned, looking at Nick as he gave her a remorseful look. Allison's heart twisted—on the one hand, she wanted nothing to do with him. On the other...

On the other, she knew the bite must be affecting Nick somehow, the infection altering his personality. Once it was treated, he'd be back to normal—back to being her Nick.

"Don't try to speak, Nick. Just rest," she murmured, resting a hand on his icy skin. That worried her—that despite the heater, he was still frozen to the touch.

"Fuck... I'm sorry," Nick apologised. "I should have let you go. I... I'm really sorry."

Allison bit her lip, looking at Nick before she squeezed his arm and whispered, "It's okay. It... it wasn't you."

Nick didn't reply and Allison didn't say any more, lapsing into silence as she hoped what she said was true. That he'd be normal once the infection was gone.

She hoped.

***

Something was wrong with Nick.

Hayden had been thinking that all night, ever since he first mentioned he wasn't in any more pain. First that, then the snapping and sudden, uncharacteristic aggression, then the fast healing that had taken eight-year-old scars away, now the pool? Something was very, very wrong with her brother, had been ever since he got bitten.

But what? What was wrong with Nick?

A pained yell from Dylan snapped Hayden out of her thoughts as she tuned back in, seeing Kaitlyn rewrap Dylan's stump. After Nick had been set down with an army of towels and a heater to dry him off and Hayden had also found a towel and dried off as much as she could, Kaitlyn had set to work on treating the stump after Allison had given her the go-ahead while she made sure Nick was okay. Hayden moved closer to Dylan, holding his shoulder in support as he involuntarily jumped every time Kaitlyn touched the stump where his hand had been.