CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX: ON THE ROAD

Chapter Thirty-Six: On The Road

(Bricks And Mortar, Part 3)

***

The car was silent as Travis drove to where Silas supposedly was. Where they could end this once and for all.

Allison had a tight grip on her bow, resting next to her, as Ryan sat beside her while Laura was in the passenger seat, wearing an old-fashioned dress. No one had spoke a word since they left the Hackett house and went onto the road to find Silas, and Allison preferred it that way. It helped her mind focus, on where she could aim her arrow best into his heart, that with a single shot, Nick, Sarah and apparently Caleb could be saved.

She wondered how the others were doing. She hoped they were okay—that they were still alive. All of them.

Just make it through the rest of the night, guys, Allison whispered to Hayden, Kaitlyn, Abi, Nora, Dylan, Emma and Jacob. Just survive a little longer. It'll be over soon.

To Nick and Sarah, she made her silent promise again to them, that she will do whatever it took for them to be cured.

As Allison stared out the window, the silence was broken as Laura inquired, "So what exactly happened six years ago?"

Allison perked up—she was a little curious about it—as Ryan answered, "There was a fire that wiped out dozens of people and now there's werewolves and a ghost that roams the woods looking for her lost baby boy."

Turning to Travis, Ryan added, "Which I've just put together, is Silas. Oh shit!"

Allison's eyes widened. "Oh my fucking God."

"It's a long story," Travis said.

"Then tell it. We have the time," Allison retorted, crossing her arms.

"No it's not. There was a fire. 'Silas the Wolf Boy' escaped. Bit a bunch of your family. You failed to stop him," Laura summarised.

"Or that," Allison amended.

"Burn," Ryan said. Allison jabbed him in the ribs, hissing, "Not the time."

"What happened in the past doesn't matter right now," Travis said.

Allison gaped at him. "Are you kidding me?"

"Uh, it kind of does actually. We need to know what we're up against at least," Laura retorted.

"And that it's been affecting us all night," Allison interjected. "Because of Silas, my friends and Laura's boyfriend got bitten, and the rest of us have just been trying to stay alive. We have to know what we're facing before we confront him, what we are up against before we get killed or bitten."

"What we're up against is a feral boy turned werewolf who, for the last six years, has avoided being found. No matter what we did. Every full moon we were out there looking. Every single one. And now this son of a bitch is finally here. So what we're up against is my only chance to end this thing for good," Travis answered curtly.