CHAPTER TEN: SOMETHING IN THE WOODS

Chapter Ten: Something In The Woods

(Trouble In Paradise, Part 2)

***

At hearing the growl, Allison immediately sprang away from Nick as she hissed, "What the fuck was that?!"

"I don't know," Nick murmured, looking at the woods, the hand that was on her waist now holding it protectively.

"What should we do? Should we look?" Allison whispered.

"Maybe," Nick whispered back.

Giving each other unsure looks, Allison and Nick stood up, eyeing the shadowed woods around them, Allison cursing the limited vision they had with the moonlight. Bending down, she picked up a branch, holding it tight and again itching for her bow and arrows as Nick stood slightly in front of her protectively. His hand found hers, gripping it tight as they stayed near the log, hearing rustling and noise like an animal panting and snarling.

A very loud, very large animal.

Allison's grip on the branch tightened as together she and Nick stepped forward and—

Noise crashed from behind them and the couple whirled, seeing Sarah and Abi there, Sarah wielding her own branch.

"Holy shit! You're both okay!" Sarah yelled, relief bursting out with her in a loud pant.

Abi, who noticed their clasped hands, smiled. "Better than okay."

Allison, whose heartbeat settled down in her chest, narrowed them with a look. "Jesus Christ, it was you two who made that noise? Way to give me and Nick a heart attack!"

At that, the relief drained away from Sarah's face. "That noise wasn't us."

Like that, the irritation froze. "What?"

"We heard a growl, and then it disappeared and we... we thought it might be coming toward you," Abi revealed.

"We heard a growl, too," Nick divulged, him and Allison sharing a look before he continued, "We heard some more and..."

And the noise was still there—the animal was still there. It had never left despite the two new people bursting into the scene.

Fear chilling her, Allison, Nick, Abi and Sarah slowly turned around, facing the direction of the growling. Tentatively, they crept forward, heading deeper into the woods, following the growling. Allison's hand tightened on her branch as she held Nick's hand in a grip just as tight, fear tripping through her system, heart pumping erratically.

As they kept creeping forward, Abi whispered, "Is it another boar?"

Nick and Allison shook their heads.

"It's... too growly," Nick whispered.

"And too loud for a boar," Allison murmured.

Another growl, loud and guttural before a large shape darted through the shadows, sending another pulse of fear in Allison's system.