CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: MINIVAN ATTACK

Chapter Twenty-Five: Minivan Attack

(The Belly Of The Beast, Part 4)

***

For the second time that night, they walked back to the lodge—except, there was only five of them now, Allison and Ryan going to cure Nick and Sarah. And Sarah... Nick...

Every time Hayden thought about what happened to her brother, each minute the curse kept him trapped as a monster, it made Hayden's heart ache. His absence, and knowing what caused it, knowing how much it turned Nick into something he wasn't and wouldn't ever want to be, was like a physical pain inside her, a phantom limb. For while they weren't joined at the hip, being separated from her twin for so long struck something deep inside Hayden, a wound that would never fully heal unless Nick was back by her side and he was human again.

And that couldn't happen until the werewolf that bit him was dead.

That thought had Hayden reflexively tighten her grip on the handle of the knife, anger and determination spiking inside her. If she got the chance, Hayden wouldn't hesitate to jam the knife with Abi's bracelet wrapped it around down its throat, let the werewolf choke on the silver. But as much as she wanted to kill the werewolf, Hayden knew that once the bracelet was gone, she wouldn't stand a chance—her arm proved that. Allison, with her silver arrows, could get Nick back. And she and Ryan would make sure Laura would not kill her brother or Sarah in her quest to kill Chris Hackett.

The best option was for them all to fix the van and get out of here while they still could. To not come back until it was dawn and Nick and Sarah were human and free of the curse.

They'd just get killed if they stayed.

Nora looked at her from where she was holding her axe, Sarah's bracelet wrapped around it and shining against the blood staining its edge, and asked, "You look surprisingly calm, given... everything."

Hayden sighed, shoulders slumping. "If I'm being honest, a part of me is still freaking out. But most of me is angry. About Nick. That he's... trapped, until that werewolf who bit him is dead, that I won't get my brother back until it is. I want to kill it, but... we both know Allison stands a far better chance of killing it than I do."

"I don't know. Rage over your brother being unwillingly turned into a monster could be more deadly than silver. I know my rage over Sarah feels like that," Nora mused, and the two of them chuckled.

"Maybe that's what Allison will use to kill the werewolf instead," Hayden theorised, and they laughed again.

As it died down, Hayden turned serious as she added, "And besides, I think... it's better to be levelheaded and not keep freaking out."

"I agree," Nora murmured, holding the axe tighter and eyeing the woods warily. Hayden did the same, holding the knife so tight her knuckles paled. Her arm ached with pain, but Hayden took strength from it.