CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE: WEREWOLF-HACKETT CHAOS

Chapter Thirty-Three: Werewolf-Hackett Chaos

(The Matriarch, Part 6)

***

The cabinet scraped across the floor loudly as Laura pushed it in front of the door, Allison standing next to Ryan as she did.

He was looking a lot better, the fast healing granted by the werewolf infection healing both the bite Laura had given him and the stab wound until both were almost non-existent. Allison's leg throbbed with her injury, but she was fine—she didn't need werewolf healing to fix it, not when it wasn't serious and time and medicine wouldn't heal it on its own.

Still, Allison readjusted her weight so she was on her good leg as Laura finished and she turned to them, saying confidently, "Well, they ain't getting through here in a hurry."

"Don't jinx it, Laura," Allison muttered, looking at her pointedly.

Laura winced, before she looked around and remarked, "Man, this place is huge."

"You're telling me—it's like a maze," Allison remarked, looking around at the cluttered space as well. The attic, maybe?

"Might need to... rest a bit," Ryan said as Allison turned to him, seeing him rest against a cabinet as he held the side where he'd been stabbed.

"Of course. You'd just been stabbed and nearly bled out to death. I'd be surprised if you didn't need to rest," Allison assured gently, checking again to see that the wound was healing well. On reflex, she asked quietly, "Feel aggressive or about to turn?"

Ryan shook his head and Allison relaxed slightly that her friend was still her friend and still human as Laura promised Ryan, "You'll feel better soon."

"Cool," Ryan replied as Allison moved away from Ryan, hovering close by if he needed her as support.

"I'm feeling pretty good, actually," Laura commented, causing Allison and Ryan to eye Laura warily as she grinned, eyes roving around wildly, looking hyper.

"Laura? You, uh... okay there?" Allison asked, taking a step back.

"What are you doing? Stop it," Ryan said, sounding as nervous as Allison felt as they saw, clearly, that Laura didn't have much time left before she turned.

They had to find and kill Chris Hackett. Now.

Laura, still grinning unnervingly, sniffed the air as she asked, "Do you guys smell that?"

"No!" Allison and Ryan answered in unison, the both of them sounding even more nervous as they eyed Laura warily.

She looked forward, a glazed look on her face before she shook it away and said, "Never mind. Let's just find another way down. A way to Chris Hackett."