Chapter 1- what if?

America singer's mouth is agape; her mother had just made her the deal of a lifetime. She could accept her own work, and keep half the profits! Only if she applied for the selection. This was the part which made her uneasy, though the chances of being picked were incredibly slim, and the chances of winning were even slimmer, they lurked in the back of her mind.

What if?

What if she never got to marry Aspen?

She took a deep breath, and realised that she couldn't take that chance. She couldn't risk Aspen. Besides, she knew her family needed the money at that time and when she leaves home to marry Aspen she can take her own work anyway. "Sorry mom. I just really don't want to apply." America sighed, though she was tempted. America's mom purses her lips and protests, but America listens to none of it. Her heart has chosen her fate.

On Friday, when the time has come for the results of the selection to be announced, America's mom is still annoyed at her daughter for not entering. "It could've been you, America." She repeats, but America doesn't care. Her dad doesn't either, so long as she's happy. The family still gather to watch the results, as this would be history in the making.

After words from the royals, the announcement would be made. Names are called and faces shown, but none of them really meant anything to them at this stage. That was, until, the final name was called. Lady Adeline Reyes of Illea, two, princess of spain.

Her mother's mouth was wide open. "I didn't even know she would be allowed to apply." She gasped "Adeline is the niece of the Spanish King. The King's brother, her father, moved to Illea and married a two then they had Adeline. When she was 8, her uncle asked her to move to Spanish court, because he and the Queen struggled to conceive and Adeline could train as an heir. They had a child 6 years ago, but Adeline has been named regent of Spain in case something happens, and she still holds a lot of power as a Spanish princess." America questions how she knows all this stuff, but her mother is very into royal affairs, so it doesn't surprise her. "But she was born here, right?" America asks, to which her mother nods. "So technically she would qualify. Especially if she spent the first eight years of her life here?" "Yes, it must be the case. She was recognised as a Spanish princess when she moved to Spanish court. So she is of high status in court there, and her family here were twos so..." America's mother trails off wistfully, imagining the life that Adeline led. "Were? Are they dead?" May interjects, and her mother responded by nodding "The king of Spain was her legal guardian until she became 18."

They sat in silence, as Adeline's picture comes up on the screen, before America whispers "she's beautiful." Nobody disagrees, not even America's mom. She wore hardly any makeup, but her face glowed. She looked so graceful, so confident in her natural appearance.

"I wouldn't be surprised if she won." America shrugs "good thing I didn't enter!" Her mother sighs, and turns off the TV, choosing not to comment on this matter.

America bolted out of the house, partly to escape her disappointed mother, but mainly to see Aspen.

Aspen, who was going to ask her to marry him.