Chapter 21- Maxon

I stand outside of her door, my ear pressed against it. I know it was wrong, but it couldn't get any worse. What had I done? When she confessed that she loved me, that she was ready, I hate myself for the fact I ruined what could've been. For me, for her, for us.

I hear her broken sobs, and although I hate girls crying in general, this one stung like nothing I'd ever heard before. "Damn you Maxon Schreave! I really loved you..." She chokes, gasping for air. My heart shatters. The girl who refused to love. The girl who felt alone. The girl who was burdened by so much, and sought freedom in a person... me. I want nothing more than to run back in there and hold her in my arms, to apologise over and over, but she wanted to be left alone. I had to respect that.

Walking away, tears begin to form in my own eyes. She was perfectly imperfect, and I loved her for that. I curse myself over and over as I reflect on what I just lost.

I couldn't sleep that night. How could I? When I just lost the woman I loved more than anything. She was right, I used Celeste. But I can't imagine any woman other than Adeline as my wife.

It's true, I was exploring my options. I'd told Adeline I'd wait, but time was of the essence and I needed a suitable backup. Besides, I hated the fact she was my father's favourite, only because he saw her as Spain, as Europe but my mother loved her for the same reasons I do. How disappointed she'd be, if she saw the little girl she watched flourish and grow in court be heartbroken by her son.

The next morning, she refused to meet my eyes at breakfast. She acted normally, which I was grateful for, but there was something missing. Something I'd grown to recognise. Heart. Passion. Confidence. Although she tried to be normal, I knew better. I've broken her, and I have to try and fix my mistake.

My father called me into his office. "What the hell has happened to the Reyes girl?" His tone is lethal "I am unsure what you mean, father." He shoots me a look "What I mean is that when she came here she was not the girl she is now. You are ruining the perfect queen. This morning, I caught the exhaustion on her face, I saw how she wouldn't meet your eye, however hard she tried to hide it, she didn't look like she wanted to be here." I hang my head "You do realise that the way you treat her impacts not you, not me, but the whole country. She has Europe in the palm of her hand at the minute. It is your selection, and you can pick who you want, but if you're letting her go, do it in a way which will not harm our international relationships."

I look him in the eye "I don't want to let her go." He narrows his eyes "Then you'd better fix whatever you've done. Say what you must, do what you must, to make her perfect again. Or I will." My eyes bolt up "Leave her alone! Nobody can be perfect all the time! It's inhumane, exhausting!" My father scoffs "You do realise that I expect nothing less than perfection. Not just from your future queen, but from you as well. Perhaps you need reminding of that..."

I brace myself for what is coming next.