Chaper 18- Adeline

Once Natalie had recovered, she asked to go home. I understand completely, the girl had a soft heart. Too soft for a possible queen, especially when the country was dealing with rebels and living in the palace was actually dangerous.

I recovered quickly from the attack, and the events that followed, being treated well before I threw myself back into the duties of the elite. Silvia describes our next task. We would have to split into two, and host either the royals of the German Federation, yes! or Italy, yes! I feel like I have an advantage now, whichever one I have to host. Due to my relationship with Harriet and Nicoletta, I know their families quite well. I have no doubt that whichever I get here, I have a great shot.

I'm partnered with Kriss and assigned to Italy. We are given an extra day to prepare as we won a coin toss, and spend the week planning everything to perfection. We consider even the smallest things, and my knowledge of Italy, their royal family, and Nicoletta proves incredibly useful.

Soon, it comes time for Celeste and Elise to host the German Federation. Their reception is suitable, but there is hardly anything special about it. I curtsy to Harriet when she walks over to me, even though we are mostly out of sight and earshot of anyone else, I know Silvia is watching us all. "Your majesty." I smirk, and Harriet rolls her eyes, pulling me up from my curtsy. "You don't have to curtsy to me, idiot." She whispers and I purse my lips jokingly. "On the contrary, here I am Lady Adeline Reyes, two, of the province Angeles, and one of the selected." She chuckles and I add quickly "and I am also being really watched by that woman over there so let's go, sit down and look formal." she looks at Silvia and whispers "that woman needs to have a day off." I laugh "you have no idea."

We go and sit down at a table and I begin speaking to her in German, as Silvia is circulating and I feel like showing off, as well as being able to speak freely without worry that someone will overhear. "How do you find their reception?" She considers it "It's alright, I guess, I've seen better. And the hostesses seem to have questionable taste and organisation. I'm sure you've put something much better together for Nic and her family tomorrow." I nod to confirm. "Shame all three of us aren't here at the same time." It was true, the three of us got along nicely. Harriet is more unfiltered, confident. Nicoletta is regal and beautiful. I am feisty and assertive. This royal trio really compliments each other.

Harriet steers the conversation, still in German, "and how is it with the prince." I blush furiously and she beams giddily "Adeline you tell me what's happened right now." "Is that a royal order?" I drawl. She nods quickly. "he... kissed me." I blurt. Harriet squeals, before regaining her composure. "Adeline! That's amazing! Are you in love?" I shrug "maybe? I need time, that's all." Harriet shakes her head "just chill Ads. Give yourself to him, if he breaks your heart I'll break his neck, and that's a promise." I chuckle a little at this, before switching back to English, gesturing slightly that Silvia has returned "I must introduce you to our amazing hosts. Come, I shall take you to meet them." She understands what I'm doing and replies "I would be most grateful for such an introduction."

The rest of the day I entertain her family, and speak to the other elite. I don't get the chance to a speak with her again.

The next day, it is time for myself and Kriss to welcome the Italians. We present Silvia and the Queen with necklaces, to identify us all as hosts, a gesture which touched them. I curtsy to Nicoletta upon her arrival, and she too told me to stop being ridiculous and pulled me up into an embrace. We too, sat down at a table and began to chat. Nicoletta starts speaking to me in Italian. "Oh Adeline, I can't believe you were forced into this. But it seems you've found some good out of it, well, out of him." She smirks "Did Harriet write to tell you..." she nods "no secrets between us three is there?" To this we both laugh gently. "Though I can only imagine the adjustments you'd have to make, Illea is much different to our home countries. I think the caning proved that." I shook my head "in that moment, I didn't think I wanted to be here anymore, Nic." I whisper, and her eyes are supportive "do you ever think... that's why your uncle wanted you here? So that you could make a change? I saw you resist against what happened to that poor girl and her lover. I saw you supporting them." I sigh "Id like to think I could make a difference. I sent them both to Spain, and my uncle tells me they are well looked after there." She nods excitedly "This is what I mean! Imagine how great you'd be as Illea's Queen! Heck, you could even dissolve the castes." I chuckle, "trust me Nic, I'll do my best." She looks deep in thought, "then we must first help you to win this selection. I shall do my best to convey that you have Italian support in this matter, and I'm sure Hattie will make it clear the German Federation feels the same!" I am so grateful to her, to them both "Thanks so much Nic, now come and enjoy the festivities, I can't remember the last time I put so much effort into party planning."

Nicoletta goes off and socialises, and I do the same. I converse with her incredibly eager cousins, who I haven't actually met properly before, but they've clearly taken a shine to me. The day ends a roaring success- it is clear to everyone that Kriss and I won.