Chapter 26- Adeline

When I wake up, I feel as if I have been resurrected from the dead. Lights glare at me, and I'm panting heavily. Sitting up quickly, I try to see if anyone's nearby, to find out what happened.

I look around the hospital wing, and to my surprise, it is Queen Amberly who sits next to me. "What?" I whisper, and she points her finger at the bed next to me, where Maxon is sleeping. "Is he okay?" I ask her worriedly, as she nods softly "He's unscathed, thanks to you. Heartbroken and scared that you were going to die, so he hasn't left your side since you got here. I came to check on you both, because I wanted to thank the woman who saved my son's life."

I shake my head "I'd do it again." And she smiles softly, "he'd do the same for you." This is what takes me by surprise, even after everything which happened between us, we still love each other. Maybe it was meant to be.

"I knew you'd always end up finding your way back to eachother." She says softly, seemingly speaking to herself now. "What do you mean?" I wonder, and she looks at me, amused. "You've met before, don't you remember? Then again, a lot has happened since then, and you were only 14." I shake my head, not recalling. She then elaborates, "You accompanied your uncle to an Illean ball when you were 14. I still remember my first time seeing you to this day, so desperate to make a good impression, so polite, so gentle. You followed your uncle everywhere. Maxon had never been to a ball before, but he was a good boy. I convinced Clarkson to let me bring him to the ball for a bit, if only just to give you some space from your uncle, but also because I wanted Maxon to meet you. I quickly sent for him, had him prepared, and introduced you. You two sat at a table together, and whenever I looked over at you two, you seemed truly happy. I saw you eat together, do the sweetest little dance together, laugh together, and then run off to a balcony. In a way, I could feel in my heart it wasn't the end." I desperately try and recall this, and as it come flooding back I gasp "That was him? He's changed so much!" Amberly laughs, "Indeed. It is a shame that we didn't just marry you there and then, perhaps all of this could've been avoided." She joked, but I notice the sadness in her words.

"Is everyone okay?" I ask, and she sighs. "Obviously Celeste is dead. We lost a number of guards, and some servants, but everyone else is fine." I am relieved to know that the death count wasn't huge, but I can't help but mourn those who we lost. Especially Celeste. I wish I'd gotten to know her better, she didn't deserve to die.

Slowly, Maxon stirs, and his mother is watching him. He wakes up and sees me awake, scrambling over to me and sitting on my bed. We don't say anything, he just looks at my face, as if he was scared he'd never see it again, and then he pulls me into a kiss. "I'll leave you guys to it." Queen Amberly whispers, and takes her leave.

When Maxon and I break apart I start to sob. He takes me in his arms, and I press my head against his chest. I see he is trying to hold back his own tears "You saved my life, when I was about to pick Kriss, when I was so mad and confused about your deal and thought you never loved me, but you defied your uncle, you took that bullet." He whispers.

"I always loved you Maxon, I was too stubborn to realise it." I cry "And I would do anything for you. I don't care how many bullets or beatings or anything as long as you're okay."

Maxon strokes my cheek upon hearing this "I never want you to have to worry again. About anything. I want to be here, with you by my side, and I will protect you from everything, because that's what you've done for me. I love you more than words can describe, my girl, and you are the only one for me, the only one I've ever wanted and the only one I will ever want. I was dreading the possibility of living without you, because you were right. I never truly realised how much I loved you until you were gone. I need you, Adeline." He whispers, tears dripping down his face now. The first time I've ever seen him cry.

He tries to pull himself together, and takes a deep breath. He takes out a box, revealing a golden band with two stones in it. One is blue, so I assume it's my birthstone, and the other must be his. "Adeline Reyes, would you make me the happiest man in the world, and do me the honour of becoming my wife."

The words I never wanted to hear, then the words I'd never expected to hear, then the words I longed to hear, and now the words that I hung on to, never wanting to leave this moment.

"Yes." I breathe, and he pulls me close, kissing me passionately, before sliding the ring onto my finger.

I chuckle softly "Weren't you supposed to do this in front of a camera? or your parents at least?" Maxon smiles "In this moment, I only wanted it to be us. Everyone else can wait."

I chuckle, as I admire the ring on my finger. He slides in the bed next to me, and holds me in his embrace. Despite the hospital gown I wear, he gently traces the exact place where my bullet wound was stitched. He remembers its exact spot on my body. "I guess we both have scars now. For eachother." I whisper, remembering how he took a beating from his father, who had used me to threaten him.

"Adi, these scars are a reminder of how much we love eachother. How hard we fought to get here. But from now on, nothing will ever hurt us again, as long as we have eachother."

"What if I'm not good enough?" I whisper "For your father?"

"You're perfect darling." He whispers "I don't care what my father thinks. It never was his choice. He will not hurt you, I promise you that. Despite how he feels about you, he knows you'll be the best queen. Now, would you like to try and get up and dressed? We need to tell the people of this."

"But... Kriss..." I start, and he cuts me off "She already knows. I've let her go." I shake my head and chuckle "It's a good job I said yes then."

He calls for my maids, who once again embrace me, grateful that I am alive, and going to be the next Queen. They promptly get me ready, and Maxon holds me so close as we walk, that nothing could ever get between us again. All of the guests had gone, apart from my uncle. Servants were busy, setting up the camera in a different location to where the battle had commenced, and Maxon and I walked to meet his parents and my uncle.

"It is done. Adeline has accepted my proposal. I spoke to Kriss already, to spare her public humiliation." The king nods, and I can tell he has mixed feelings about me. I have Europe, I saved his only son, but I don't fear him anymore. Queen Amberly embraces me, and Maxon holds out a hand for my uncle to shake, but my uncle ignores it, and pulls Maxon into an embrace himself. I see Maxon relax slightly in his arms.

"Shall we do this then?" Clarkson huffs, pointing to the camera, and the buzz of the people behind it. Maxon pulls me close again, and with one final kiss, we prepare to make it official.