Chapter 27- Maxon

The announcement of our engagement is one at which the country rejoices, and it brings us a sense of hope. The noises on the street are so loud that we can hear them from the castle, and we stand out on the balcony, concealed by darkness, as we hear the people shouting our names, celebrating us, the future of Illea. "We should probably go in darling." I sigh, after standing out there for a while. "Maxon... please don't leave me alone tonight." She whispers, leaning closer into me and shivering. Oh god. It doesn't feel real that she was shot just hours ago. "I'll be right at your side, love." I place my hand on top of the place where she was shot, and gently press my lips on hers.

I hold her close to me that entire night, and she falls asleep with her head on my chest. Suddenly, I am awoken by the sound of her panting, bolting up off my chest. "shhhhh, it's okay darling, I promise I'm here." I stroke her head and bring her back into me. I have a few ideas of what she's remembering, and I wish I could just take it all away. I console her, and she mumbles "I'm sorry."

"Never be sorry. I'm right here love, nothing will happen to you." With that, she starts slowly fall asleep again, and I don't allow myself to until I am sure she's okay.

In the morning, we get dressed and ready for the day. Wedding preparations begin, and my mother is a massive help, as neither me nor Adeline really have experience in this department. My father wasn't as involved, although there were some aspects of the wedding which needed his approval or guidance. Both Adeline and I wanted to stay out of his way, however he made it plain to us what was expected from us, and from our marriage. Children being one thing. Thankfully, I had discussed the matter with her privately before my father could.

My mother loves Adeline like a daughter already, from the moment we told her of the engagement she insisted that Adeline call her mom, which was the cutest thing to me. Throughout the day, I'd often see them talking or laughing or planning together and It makes my heart so full to see the two women I love most in this world connect so well.

The following week goes by so quickly, as I enjoy every moment with my future wife. I hardly leave her side, partially due to the craving I have for her, but also partially due to fear of rebel attack. Soon after, the date of the wedding rapidly approaches.

"Maxon... I wish Marlee could come to the wedding." She sighs, dreading the absence of one of her closest friends on our special day. I knew her uncle let her and Carter stay in his palace, and I also knew that Adeline wrote regularly. I take her hand in mine and rub it slowly with my thumb "If there was any way I could, I would, but the security of the palace will be too high. She'd never get past the guards, and I'm not even sure my father knows if she's alive." I hate that this is the one thing I cannot give her. "When we go to Spain, after the wedding, you can see her." I try and look for a positive, and although Adeline agrees, I can see how she wants Marlee to return.

Finally, the time comes for us to be married. We do not see eachother all of that morning, as we prepare separately. I walk up to the altar, and see my parents in the front row, next to Adeline's spanish family and behind them was most of the other selected who returned. Other royals attended, and nobility. I just wanted everything to go perfectly. Music plays, and the doors open, my eyes transfixed on Adeline. She looks truly gorgeous in her dress, with its high collar, flattering style and elegant touches. Her hair is styled to compliment it, and it has the desired effect. Her uncle leads her down the aisle proudly, followed by her only bridesmaids, Nicoletta and Harriet.

Our eyes are locked, our expressions soft and loving, as she makes her way towards me. Her uncle hands her to me, his eyes full of respect, and he takes his seat by his family. "Hello, my dear." I whisper and she giggles "Don't even start." We exchange vows and rings, then we are officially husband and wife. Our first kiss as a married couple is truly magical, as her soft, loving eyes meet mine and then the gap between our lips closes. I lead her back down the aisle and we are almost skipping out of the door- ready to begin our new life together. "Adeline Schreave rolls off the tongue doesn't it?" I grin as we are finally alone. "I could get used to it, I suppose." She agrees, smiling widely.

At the reception afterwards, Adeline is taken into a group hug with the selection girls, as she makes the effort to thank them all individually for their return, and expresses her gratitude for their support. Nicoletta and Harriet, of course, are ecstatic, running into her arms with tears in their eyes. My mother and father too offer their congratulations, as do the Spanish royals.

Adeline walks over to me with princess Isabella, carrying her. She's speaking in Spanish excitedly to Isabella, as she brings her to me. "This is Maxon, my husband." She says in slow English, and looks at Isabella expectantly. Isabella considers, takes a breath and says "H-hello I am Isabella. It iz niseee to meattt you" Adeline praises her for her attempt at English and I chuckle "It's nice to meet you too Princess." She grins "You is Adi's man?" And I nod "Yes, I'm Adi's man." Isabella seems to approve of this as she looks up at Adeline "he iz nise." Adeline kisses her on the forehead "I know." And then gives her back to a Spanish relative as she comes back to my side.

"Are you having a good time, darling?" I whisper in her ear, and she takes my hand in hers. "It's perfect." She whispers back, and we share another kiss. For the rest of the night, we are inseparable. We dance, drink, laugh and truly enjoy our time together as everyone celebrates our marriage.

I cannot take my eyes off Adeline, because she is so beautiful, and I find it adorable the way in which she interacts with our guests, full of happiness. I cannot believe she's finally mine, after all we have been through. I gently pull her in by the waist, and my thumb automatically caresses the bullet wound. She seems to like it, as she leans into my touch. It doesn't hurt, as she's had stitches, but I am still careful. As I do this, she brings her lips to mine once more.

Nothing could ruin today.