Chapter 19- Adeline

All I want is to see Nicoletta and Harriet again. Hattie told me it's okay to love Maxon, and Nic told me that I could make a great difference as his queen. This made staying here so much easier. Our conversations were so focused on me that I now feel I know nothing about what's happening with them. Naturally, when Silvia told us that we had to attend a tea party with two guests of our choice, they were the first people I called.

We walk in, one on either side of me, each sporting a tiara with gemstones resembling the flags of our countries. I pair my Spanish tiara, glittering with red and gold, with a beautiful red dress. This idea wasn't mine actually, but Nic's. She thought that I shouldn't ignore my position in Spain simply because it differs in Illea. Mouths drop at the sight of us three, we all look beautiful, regal. Maxon's eyes linger on me, and Hattie nudges me, clearly noticing this. We are all conscious of the cameras following us, so we do what we do best. Put on a show.

After I got all of the deep talk over with them individually yesterday, we can finally relax and make conversation how we used to. In this way the event was quite fun. I saw Kriss' eyes wander to me enviously, and Harriet, ever perceptive, notices. "It's because you look like a queen, ads." She smiles softly. Nicoletta nods her head in agreement. "I think everyone can see it. Even him." She gestures to Maxon who often steals a gaze at me. "Come on. This could be the last time all three of us are together for a while, let's talk about anything other than the crown prince of Illea?" I laugh and we resume our well overdue catch up.

A reporter comes to speak to me once he is done with the others. "So, Lady Adeline, would you care to explain your choice of guests?" I smile for the camera "I invited Princess Harriet and Princess Nicoletta because, essentially, they represent the past and the future. We were well acquainted from my time in Spain, and we always got along well. However, they are each the future of their countries. A future which I shall look forward too, as I know they are both incredibly capable and strong leaders."

The room stopped to listen to me, and for a split second I have to give myself credit for my little speech. Nicoletta tactfully interjects "Both Princess Harriet and I are very much hoping that Lady Adeline becomes the future of Illea too, we have seen firsthand the great impact she had as she took on such a role in Spain. She is someone who could benefit Illea, and in turn Europe. The future isn't us, or our countries, the future is you Adeline." Illea wanted alliances with Europe for a long time, and she's acknowledging that I am the key to making this happen. Harriet nods affirmatively "Quite a lot of people here in Illea are unaware of what she has done for Spain, for Europe, in the past, from an age as young as 15. Illea is quite lucky to have you here as a candidate for the hand of Prince Maxon." They've made their stance. There's no going back now. The reporter nods "Indeed, Lady Adeline is a very eligible candidate. Thank you very much." And that concludes the interview.

Harriet whispers in German "So much for being free huh?" I shake my head and respond in German to her "No, I am free. When I'm here, when I'm with him. And when I pledge to make a change."