Chapter 4- Maxon

I sit in the royal living quarters, watching the coverage of the womens' arrival with my parents. My mother has her arm around me, sensing my nerves, and my father is stoic as ever. "Watch carefully, son." He demands, placing pressure on me once again. The importance of my decision cannot be understated, and I need to do what's best for me, for my parents and for Illea.

I briefly see all the women on their journeys to the palace, carefully watching them but also paying attention to my parents reactions. Mother makes her feelings less known than my father, who criticises and comments on every girl.

He makes notes on Celeste's beauty, Marlee's fans, Elise's connections, Ashley's poise, yet always finds something wrong with each of them. Until the last girl, Adeline.

Father sits up straighter when she appears on the screen, as if she is already his favourite. I can certainly see why. She is already a princess after all, so she has everything Father is looking for in his future daughter in law, and the next Queen of Illea. Mother seems to have no reaction, until we notice her pick up her little cousin. My heart melts, my mother's expression softens and we chuckle lightly about how she is with the child. It's almost like there and then, I saw a glimpse of the real her, and it was captivating.

Soon after, she arrives in Illea and she returns to her royal charade. Being a princess perfectly, pleasing everyone around her. And then she stops. She freezes as she notices something. Her beautiful face etched with concern and passion for this young girl who is desperate to see her. Her kind gesture towards this girl made her all the more intriguing to me. She acted like a princess, looked like a princess, but there must be so much more to her.

I look to my father and mother, both of whom smiling with approval. "There seems to be a clear favourite amongst the people." Mother spoke softly, rubbing my shoulder. Father nods in agreement "Indeed there is. She is as radiant as ever." They share a glance and I am confused.

"You've met her before?" I ask, curious. Father answers me "She has come a few times on business with her uncle, the king. She has met me in meetings, organising business and trade. She met Amberly once, as I had a private audience with the king and Amberly took her to the women's room to sit with her until we were ready for them to return." He reveals and I am entranced by this knowledge. Turning to my mother, I wonder "what was she like?" Mother smiles at me "she drives a hard bargain, formally" she chuckles "a tough negotiator and incredibly Intelligent." "And informally?" I prod "Informally, she is a beautiful soul. Funny, kind, gracious, everything really. But that is something for you to discover." Mother says softly, reminding me it is my selection and I must take responsibility.

"I'll do you proud." I promise my mother and father.