Chapter 7- Adeline

The following morning my maids got me ready. I chatted to them a bit, beyond idle chatter. I didn't care if they were supposed to be below me, in Spain they don't have castes- everyone is equal. Of course royalty is elevated, but in theory, no castes means that there is no discrimination. My maids are always my friends, and I intend to keep it this way here in illea. I soon learn of their families, their pasts, their love interests, and I share with them things about me that I never imagined revealing in my time here. The three women looked genuinely happy, and I was too.

Eventually, we were escorted down to breakfast. Silvia watched us all like a hawk as we enter. She made comments on the girls who slouched, the girls who yawned, whose who spoke to loudly. She showered me with praise, looking highly impressed at my conduct. The truth is, I had a tutor much like her upon my arrival in Spain. Only worse, far worse. She had managed to successfully erase any traces of imperfection, and ensured I never got out of the habit of being proper. The other girls here watch me enviously, jealous of how it comes so naturally. But none of them know the truth about me they just see the pretty smile and elegant dress. I hate being the favourite.

Maxon walks in and Silvia acts even more in awe of him than me, if that was even possible. He makes his 'grand' introduction which I found severely underwhelming. I was convinced that I could do far better had I been back in Spain and there were 35 boys competing to be my husband. Yet the girls look completely hypnotised. Maxon takes each girl aside, and has a short, private chat with them on a sofa nearby. Great.

The girls seem to chatter to distract themselves from their nerves, and I join them. Marlee was the nicest to me so far, but she was seated right on the other side of the table. Instead, I meet the eyes of Kriss Ambers. "Hello Kriss. You look lovely this morning." I remark, Kriss seemed rather intelligent, so it would do me no harm to have her onside. She blushes slightly and thanks me. "How are you finding this so far?" I ask her, hoping to continue the conversation "It's just lovely." She gushes "I really can't wait to meet Maxon too, I mean he seems so perfect and me being here feels so right." I smile softly at this. Of course, to any girl this would be the life of dreams. I don't have it in my heart to tell her it's not. "And what about you? The people seem to love you already..." I can tell she's genuinely concerned about this and I chuckle softly "Trust me... being the favourite really isn't all it's cracked up to be." Her name is called over by maxon before I can elaborate, so I wish her luck and she takes her leave.

It isn't long before my own name is called. I don't know why my stomach flutters, maybe I'm expecting him to be weird with me because I snapped at him last night.

"Adeline? Is it?" His lips curl into a smile as he reads my name pin. "Sorry, who are you again? You look vaguely familiar." I joke back, and to my relief he laughs. "Did you sleep well, my dear?" He asks me and I roll my eyes. "Firstly, I had an excellent sleep thank you. Secondly, I am still not your dear, because I have no doubt that you have called every other candidate that as well." Maxon chuckles to himself "they all seemed to like it." Now it is my turn to smirk "hence why I do not." Maxon nods, his smile still present.

"Listen, I'm sorry I snapped last night. It was an incredibly... unprincess like thing to do?" I wasn't sure I'd phrased it correctly, but the intent was there. Maxon just smiles "Listen Adeline, you've been incredibly... real... with me so far. And that's something I admire about you. I know how you have to be a princess because I too have to be the prince. I get it. We have roles to play, and a lot is at stake between our countries should anything go drastically wrong... but there's also a lot to gain. So when I met you last night, and you were just your true self, as if we were just two normal people, no duty, no responsibility, no nothing. It felt right." Maxon pours his feelings out to me, and I feel the hold my head has over my heart weakening. "I'd like to be real with you. I came here seeking an escape from Spain.. but maybe the escape isn't a place, but a person." Maxon beams upon hearing this. "I understand very well the responsibility and pressure this selection brings upon you. And I think that given our similar backgrounds I could be a confidante to you, and you to me." Maxon gasps "really? A confidante?" I chuckle at his response, he looks like a longing child. "But more than that... a friend." He nods happily "and maybe, we could become something more?" He asks me, and I consider this. "Only time will tell." I answer vaguely, but it's enough for him.

"Could I still call you 'my dear'?" Maxon asks me. I raise my eyebrows "not a chance." This makes him laugh a bit. "My mother has told me you drive a hard bargain." I laugh "are you referring to the diplomatic meetings about foreign affairs I was forced to participate in? If so then yes, I do not give up easily." Maxon's eyes sparkle as he looks at me "neither do I." I brush off the possible deeper meaning of this, and instead say "you got off lucky with those." He sighs "on the contrary, I'd quite liked to have been in them. My father has only recently valued my input in the country's affairs at home and abroad. I'd have enjoyed sitting through them with you, as my parents always used to tell me of the Spanish princess they negotiated with." I blush at this "all good things I hope?" He nods "At times you'd think you were their daughter." I felt uncomfortable at this but laughed it off and shrug "I'm nobody's daughter. I may be bound by blood and a stupid crown to Spain, but in my mind, I am free. Even though physically I am far from it." I mumble, and he nods "I know the feeling." "Well perhaps we can help each other with that burden." I grin, and rise to take my leave, he does the same, bowing low, and I return his with a graceful curtesy. He looks like the happiest man I've ever seen right now, as he doesn't break his gaze until he absolutely must.

Maxon asks some to stay behind, and I try and count the amount of girls. It's a lot, at most half of us. I can't decide whether this would be a good thing or bad, but Silvia takes us to the banquet room, where the king and queen are waiting. Upon seeing them I curtsy, and can't help but wonder why the others don't do the same. Some follow me quickly, but their curtsies are impulsive so are rushed and messy. Silvia sighs at the incompetence of the other girls. "I'm afraid we didn't get this far, ladies. Whenever you see the king or queen, you must curtsy." She nods at me fondly, complimenting again, my conduct. This stuff was hammered into me, and I subconsciously curtsied upon seeing the royals. But now I've drawn more attention to myself.

"Ladies, I want you all to curtsy now to the king and queen. You all must be well versed in royal protocol. Not just Adeline. All together now." I curtsy again to the king and queen, along with everyone else, until we are finally addressed. Once the king has blessed our food, we eat. Maxon walks in, and I sigh slightly as I begin to rise, but he orders us all not to. I notice the girls who left didn't return. Counting how many girls were missing, I realise.

17 girls were gone. After the first hurdle.