Chapter 3- Adeline

Upon my arrival at the palace, I had to be prepped and groomed for my temporary life in Illea. While many girls had to undergo drastic transformations, I had already been styled weekly in Spain, so the stylists here hadn't much to do. The before photo was almost identical to the after photo of the makeover, however they had to have something to show of the process, so they put some light makeup on me and did minor adjustments to my hair style and eyebrow shape.

Soon it was time for the interview. I sit down gracefully and confidently, watching the interviewer intently. She described the report to me, and then nodded at a camera. The red light glowed on top of the camera and the interview begun.

"Adeline Reyes, it is an honour to have you on the report." To this I just smiled politely "it is an honour to be here." The reporter looked in awe of me, "I see you have maintained much of your original style, so what was the makeover process like for you?" Giving this question some thought, I responded "It was incredible to gain an insight on how efficient the stylists are here, they have brought out the individual beauty of every girl. To me, they gave their advice on how best to adapt my look to my new environment, and I think their expertise has shown in my transformation." The reporter nods, clearly impressed. "How do you feel about the competition so far?" She asks, and I smile "Truthfully, I have been unable to interact with most of the other contestants due to my later arrival. Though I must say, they all appear to be most kind and their makeovers are incredible." "One last question- how does your uncle feel about your participation in the selection?" She asks, and I got the feeling this question was unscripted. "Of course, he was hesitant at first as I play an important role in the Spanish monarchy, we decided I should apply as we eventually realised that being here would only benefit both of our countries." Here I was only half telling the truth, as I quite reluctantly agreed to the selection and by 'we' I was referring to whatever kind of deal my uncle struck with King Clarkson. It was sufficient for the reporter, who then thanked me and let me leave.

After this, I was taken to relax on a couch, and a girl came and sat next to me. "Hey! I'm Marlee." She seemed bubbly, with kind eyes and a nice personality. I extended my hand "I'm Adeline, nice to meet you." I grin at her "I love your look" Marlee smiles at this compliment, and says kindly "You look so beautiful Adeline." To this I smile softly "Thanks Marlee. You're the first one who's talked to me so far you know." Marlee's expression is one filled with sympathy "Some of the others view you as a threat. I mean, you're already a princess after all." I consider this and nod "I assure you, it was under the influence of my uncle that I applied. I know some may see it as a political thing, others see it as love, some see it as greedy. I just want to be happy." Marlee places her hand on mine comfortingly, and my heart aches. We sit in silence for a moment, before we get called away for the next part of the selection.

We all take a tour of the palace, and I am quite familiar with many aspects of it having been there before on business with uncle. I don't recall ever meeting Maxon, as his father preferred for him to be out of the way. Contrastingly, the Spanish king was always accompanied by me on business. What a joy. Then we were escorted to our rooms, and three maids were awaiting my arrival. They introduced themselves as Lucy, Anne, and Mary. After I had introduced myself and decided to relax a bit, they insist on freshening me up for the rest of the day.

At six, Silvia promptly knocks on my door, and I meet with the other girls again to go down to the women's room. I spot Marlee, and we walk down together. The women's room looked incredibly comfortable, now decorated with chairs and tables, and I took a seat on a couch next to Marlee.

The TV turns on and us girls are finally able to watch the report for the first time- each girl perking up when it is her turn to be featured. Celeste wears a smug expression, Ashley looking ever the lady, and Marlee blushing. I was so busy watching each girl's reaction I almost missed my own turn. Dead last.

"And last, but certainly not least, we have arguably the most interesting candidate for the selection. Princess Adeline Reyes of Spain was born in Illea as a two, however following her parents' death and royal uncle's need for a temporary heir she embraced her role as a Spanish princess. Now she's back! And competing for the heart of our beloved prince." The reporter declares. All heads turn to me. Those who didn't know- most definitely knew now. The coverage continues, showing me with my uncle, aunt and cousin. "We see Adeline in the Spanish airport saying a fond farewell to the royals. Awww look at her with the crown princess! How cute!" My stomach knots as I see myself with Isabella on the screen. I watch as I picked up the heartbroken little girl and try to reassure her. The reporter continues, as coverage switches to the crowd "She seems to have a whole country backing her to win the selection! And not just in Spain either, look at the reception she received in Illea!" I see myself walk out of the airport, and my interaction with Annabeth. Some of the girls near me roll their eyes, but others found it adorable. With that, coverage concludes, and the room is silent.

The stares all made sense to me. They couldn't see my intentions, they didn't know that I didn't want this. In their eyes, I was a threat. They wanted me gone.