Chapeter 10- Maxon

Following the chaos of the rebel attack, I had to appear on the report. My father delivered most announcements, however I had a bit to announce about my own thoughts on it, and the ongoing selection.

A couple days later, I decide to take Marlee on a date. She's nice, very enthusiastic about the prospect of a relationship, and people like her. I tried to make a connection, but the more I got to know her, I realised that her bubbly persona possibly masked insecurity. Would she be confident enough to be a queen? Right now, I cannot tell. I simply want to enjoy her company. I take her to the castle's theatre and we watch a movie. Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a good time, when I placed my hand on hers, I felt minimal connection. She remains a suitable option.

Still, the time soon came for the traditional photos to be taken with each girl. One, after all, would be my future wife. They all wear the same dress, and sash, and the moment is a quick one. The girl is brought up, we have a photograph taken, then the next comes. Adeline walks up and my heart catches in my throat. She looks beautiful. "Adeline, my dear." I tease her and she pouts at me "come on, you know you can't stay mad at me for long." I make a pouty face back at her, and we both erupt into laughter. The photographer catches this candid moment. "Next!" We share a grin before the next girl is called.

The same morning, my father informs me of more rebel attacks. "This cannot go on." My father says sternly. "We need to act, and fast." I scrunch my nose "but how?" My father is thinking intently "Our funds are stretched as it is in terms of defences, we cannot afford to buy the upper hand... unless..." he looks me in the eyes "Adeline can help us."

My father, mother and I are in my father's office, awaiting her arrival. When she walks in, she drops into a curtsy and mumbles "your majesties. I understand you require my assistance?" My father nods, "indeed we do. Please, sit." She takes her seat gracefully, looking at me intently. It's the first time I've seen her eyes filled with fear. She listens carefully to what my father says next "As you are well aware, our country is suffering from rebel attacks at this moment. Our finances cannot support us enough to be able to fully defend ourselves and our people. I was wondering if you could possibly assist with striking a deal with Spain." Adeline's eyes flicker "and why not arrange this directly with the Spanish king? Why involve me at all?" She had him there. "See this as a chance to prove your use and loyalty to us." Is all my father has to offer. She very much looks about to refuse, but she catches my eye again.

Please

She gulps and nods. "Alright. Pass me the telephone, a notepad and pen. I'll call the ambassador and I'll see what I can do."

Adeline knows the number to dial off by heart. Tension hangs in the room while it rings, until a muffled voice is heard at the other end. To my families unanimous surprise, she begins to talk in Spanish.

Surely the ambassador can speak English. She knows exactly what she's doing.

I can't help but admire her for this. Although I now understand nothing of what she is saying, she is brave for making such a bold move. For about 5 minutes she converses in Spanish, her manner stiff as she talks and listens, before her eyes widen and she grows angry "Will it take me to speak in English for you to understand me? I shall not stand for this. I am not a pawn for you to use and discard when you see fit. The terms are not favourable, and you will need to revise them or you can consider me out of whatever plan you have for my future in Spain. I want to speak to my uncle. Now. No, I do not care what he is doing as this is far more important. I shall not tolerate your incompetence any longer." She relaxes as the person she's talking to seeming goes to get her uncle. My mother and father are taken aback at her assertiveness it seems.

She talks into the phone again, her voice calmer and more submissive. She begins the conversation with her uncle in Spanish, and now she is relaxed, focused, and scribbling notes on her notepad. This continues for far longer until she switches to English again, almost like she's indicating we can hear. "I understand your stance uncle, truly, and I think it is most fair, given the circumstances. However you do realise the issue this could create for Illea! I mean it's not like we could just bring... them.... All" her eyes widen "or could we?" She chats excitedly in Spanish and my father is practically on the edge of his seat. As am I. When she eventually puts the phone down he wastes no time "Well?"

Adeline straightens her posture, brushing out her dress. "My uncle has agreed to reach an agreement on the one off provision of funds and weapons. He says he will do as such on generous terms, given the respect he has for the country, the royal family, and the hospitality they have provided his niece. However he has some requirements to be met before said agreement can happen." My father grows curious "Like what?" Adeline clears her throat "Firstly, whatever we give you must be done so discreetly. You will not make our involvement public." "Secondly, the meeting should be held in person, and in Spain." "done." My father's response was almost too quick, it was as if he didn't consider it at all. "Finally, my uncle requires my presence at the meeting. Meaning I shall have to travel back to Spain alongside you." The king nods. "Although, I understand the issue that this may pose for the selection. Me being able to travel with the royal family on business could be perceived as an advantage in the selection. Should the result end up working in my favour, it could be viewed as rigged. Even so, the other candidates, and the public, will most likely respond negatively to my involvement. So I have a proposition." My father raises his eyebrow, to hear her out. "Bring them all to Spain. All 15 remaining girls can come, my uncle has agreed to host them in the castle. Upon arrival, there will be a grand ball. You shall all be lodged, and the day following the selection girls can be kept busy by Silvia or my aunt, while we engage in the meeting. If you'd prefer my involvement to remain secret to them, the meeting can be arranged before the girls even wake up. This way, we reach a middle ground. And I would dare say this works in illea's favour."

My father looks at mother, who agrees. "It is a....very clever solution." She's impressed him. She's impressed me. I stare at her in utter awe at how well she's commanded the situation. Now I can truly tell that although she isn't the heir to the Spanish throne anymore, she is a queen in every way. "I can finalise this now, unless you need time to think about it." She offers, to which my father nods "do it."

She picks up the phone again and dials, having a shorter but faster paced conversation in Spanish with her uncle. She mouths to my father "is this time next week good?" To which he nods and she starts her conversation again. Then she puts the phone down. It is done.

"Thank you Adeline. Maxon, take her back to her room." She smiles and curtsies, I bow, and we leave together.

"That was amazing." I whisper "it's a good job we are friends because I very much wanted to refuse that. Thought the selection was going to be a tamer version of my life in Spain but here we are." I pity her for that "You couldn't have just denied my father anyway. He always gets what he wants." she chuckles in response "so do I."