Chaper 14- Adeline

What have I done? I couldn't help but notice the smile on Maxon's face once I'd given my answer to Gavril. He loves me. I never wanted this. But yet... the feeling that he gives me is indescribable. Could I love him? Could I stay here?

As if on cue, I hear Maxon on the other side of my bedroom door. "Adeline? Can we talk?" I sigh, before opening the door to him. "At your service, your royal princeness." I feel like sarcasm is the best way to lighten what I imagine would become a very awkward and meaningful conversation, because I really detest awkward and meaningful conversations.

I really don't want Maxon to know that the reason I'm here is because my own freedom was used as a bargaining chip.

He grins, and lets himself in. Getting straight to the point, he asks "Adeline... would you give up your life in Spain for this? For... me?"

At least I can be honest with him here

"Maxon, I'd give my life in Spain up for anything. I don't want to be there, I've done my duty and now I'm ready for the next chapter, whatever it may be."

"Could it be with me?" He takes my hand in his, never breaking eye contact. As I gaze into his chocolate eyes, all I see is him. The promise of freedom becomes less appealing the more I look at the Prince. Maybe Harriet was right. I snap out of my foolish trance, wanting to reach a middle ground between my head and my heart. "Maxon, I don't know what we are. But right now, I think it's more than friends."

His mouth spreads into the biggest grin, as if I had just made him the happiest man on earth. me. I was so used to people demanding more... but he made me feel like I was enough. Without thinking, I throw myself into his arms. He embraces me gently, noticing my wet cheeks. "Why are you crying?" He asks gently, stroking my hair as he releases me. "In Spain I grew emotionless. I never thought I could love, show someone my imperfections, have someone who wanted me for me and nothing else. I thought I was destined to die alone, so it made me numb to the fear of death, rejection, pain. All of those things seemed insignificant when my focus was pleasing everyone else. I don't think I've ever been as happy as I have been with you, as embarrassing as it may be to admit." I choke, and he strokes my cheek gently.

"Adeline, you've always been enough. From the first time I saw you as a Princess, on the TV, I knew there was more to you. Now I think I've found it.

I can't help but chuckle "You're getting good at the whole consolation thing." He laughs lightly in response "glad to know it's working."

"I'll try Maxon. For you, I'll let myself be vulnerable. And open to the possibility of love." He kisses my forehead "That's all I could ever ask."

That night, the sensation of his lips on my forehead was one I couldn't shake. And I didn't know why.

The next day I seek out Marlee, I need someone to talk to who isn't Maxon, and I've really bonded with Marlee. These days, she's looking less bubbly and more burdened which makes me wonder what's going on.

"Marlee, are you alright?" I ask gently. "Oh Adeline. This isn't going to work out. I don't love him, there's no connection between us. I tried so hard, but Maxon and I aren't meant to be." She hangs her head, and I put my hand on top of hers "Marlee, are you certain?" she sniffles and nods.

"So what will you do?" Marlee sighs, "I don't know Adeline. I just know he isn't my true love." I understand her "You can't leave me to face Celeste alone!" I tease, and earn a small giggle from her. "You have to win Adeline. You'd be brilliant." I find it ironic that it's come to this, as despite my best attempts to push Maxon towards Marlee it's now her pushing me to him.

"Love is weird." I sigh "And highly inconvenient." Marlee agrees wholeheartedly.