Chapter 17- Maxon

Prince Schreave," one of the nurses finally said, "Could you step aside for a moment?" I look over at the nurse, feeling a slight sense of anxiety wash over me now. I decide to do as I was asked, and I stepped to the side of the room, as I wonder why the nurse would need to speak to me.

I become even more nervous now, as I continue to wonder why she would need to speak to me away from Adeline.What could she need to say to me that she didn't want to talk about in front of her?

"Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?" the nurse asks me, once we had moved at a safe enough distance for the two of them to talk.

I nod my head, as I say, "Of course. I don't mind answering some questions." I wanted to ask the nurse why she needed to ask me questions, as I was starting to get a bad feeling about the whole thing now. It would've been easy enough to ask in front of Adeline, as she was in no state to listen to their conversation currently anyway.

The nurse remained silent for a second, and I found that she didn't dive directly into questioning me. Instead, she slowly began with asking me how I was feeling.

"How am I feeling?" I repeat, "Right now, I'm mostly concerned about Adeline currently..."

Of course you are," the nurse replies, seeming to understand my concerns, "But I also need to ask if you're alright. You were also here when the rebel attack started, were you not?"

"Yes, that is correct," I reply, "I was here when the attack occurred, but I was not injured during the attack."

I hoped that they wouldn't read too much into my calm demeanour just now, as I hoped she wouldn't realize that my mind was somewhat scrambled during this whole thing.

"You weren't injured? At all?" She asks, "There were no injuries that you sustained during this incident?" I knew that their questions made sense, but I also felt that they found something more wrong with me than me being uninjured.

"Nothing that I can recall, at least," I reply, "I do remember dodging and trying to avoid the rebels, but I was uninjured throughout the entire ordeal." The nurse didn't say anything for a few seconds, as she seemed to be mulling over what I had said to them. She seemed slightly shocked at the fact that I had stayed completely unharmed during the ordeal, and I wonder if she found it suspicious.

"You must be quite good at dodging, then," the nurse then said, "Given that you dodged the entire attack from the rebels without getting harmed whatsoever." She then pauses for another few moments, as if she was considering next what to say to me. "The way you speak," she said next, "It's rather different. Could I perhaps ask you a personal question?"

"A personal question..." I consider, not knowing how to answer the nurse's comment about the way I spoke. I also didn't know what the doctor would be asking me, but I decide to agree regardless. "You can ask, yes," I reply.

"Is there anyone you care about?" She asks suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, "The way you act around Adeline... Does she mean anything to you? Or is it just common courtesy between the two of you?" The nurse was whispering now, to ensure Adeline didn't hear.

The sudden question took me by surprise, especially given the way that the nurse asked it.
I felt slightly put on the spot, as I decided to take a few moments to pause before answering. "I do care about her," I answer, "But it's more than just common courtesy between the both of us...."