Chapter 13- Maxon

It has been a month since the selection began, but I need to move faster with this, be decisive. I continue royal duties in the palace, but the threat of the rebels and the selection is looming over me.

The rebels must've been here. Rooms are ransacked.

When we arrive for breakfast, the wall of the dining room has been graffitied. The message?

We're coming

The girls are all in shock and Adeline shakes her head "Simple and to the point I guess." Celeste narrows her eyes at Adeline from across the table "and what would you do then? If you're so calm and knowledgeable about this." Adeline chuckles humourlessly "had this happened in Spain, the rebels would be nothing by now. I've stopped it before and I could do it again." The venomous tone and conviction shut Celeste up.

That afternoon, 3 girls leave of their own accord, fearful for their safety.

But the next day, I know what I need to do. I've already cleared it with my Father, and I am prepared to take the risk on this.

I address all of the ladies at breakfast. "Good morning ladies. Due to the circumstances, I have decided to make further cuts in the selection. I may be moving fast, but I assure you over the past month I have gathered all of the information I need. The elite will be declared. As the issue of rebellion plagues us, only six will be asked to stay. The six who will be named as the elite are:
Lady Adeline, lady Celeste, Lady Marlee, Lady Kriss, Lady Natalie and Lady Elise. To the rest of you, I am sorry, but trust me when I say this is best for you. I do not want to raise anyone's hopes while risking their lives."

Some girls run after me, seeking an explanation. I provide them with it, getting more confident after each cut, and then what is done, is done.

That afternoon, it is time for the report. I walk out into the studio. "Good evening Gavril. Good evening audience. It is to my dismay that I must inform you that following our successful trip to Spain, the rebels have attacked once more. Due to this, I have made my decision to narrow the contenders down to the elite. And due to the circumstances in which I have had to do this, the elite are now just 6." The remaining girls walk into the report on cue, and take their seats. The audience claps, and I feel relieved. The 6 that are left are the most popular, and were from the start.

"Thank you your majesty!" Gavril exclaims. "Now, we must get an insight from our elite. Lady Marlee, how do you feel about being named as one of the elite?" Marlee hesitates, and plasters a smile on her face "Erm, great. It's... everything I ever wanted!" Her lack of conviction surprises me, as her bubbly personality seems to be fading. It's true, the last few times I've interacted with her it has been awkward, but I didn't expect her to lose heart this easily.

Each of the elite answer their questions. I consider their answers carefully, but they all seem rather generic and unoriginal. They lack meaning.

"Finally, Adeline. How was it being back in Spain? Is it something you could leave behind if you were to marry Prince Maxon?" My heart stops as Gavril asks this question. Adeline smiles "Gavril, I am Illean born, spanish made. This is my homeland, and while I recognise I have duty to my family, and to Spain, this is where I belong."

She belongs here. She belongs with me.

"Thank you Adeline! A most beautiful answer!" He exclaims, and my stomach is filled with butterflies. Is she simply saying this? Or does she mean it?

I've tried so hard to fight my love for her. But now... is she fighting for me?