Chapter 9- Maxon

After my cut of half the girls, I had to explain my actions on the report. I aim to get this selection done as quickly as possible, to prove my decisiveness and assertiveness. This was well received on the report, as all of the viewers would rather get the unsuitable options out of the way to reveal the contest between the main contenders, which would likely drag on a bit more.

I sought comfort in Adeline, and our garden stroll. She is so fascinating to me. She's like a book, and I want to read every last page. But I do not want to overstep the boundaries of our friendship. She is a firm woman, which I admire.
At breakfast the next morning I catch a glimpse of her, she seems to have settled in quite nicely and I'm glad to see her doing well.

I watch the other girls too. Kriss seems capable, but she is merely an acceptable choice. Celeste is beautiful, but I can see through her act. Marlee is bubbly and kind, but is it a mask? Elise has connections, but I don't think I'd get on with her. Natalie is kind, but too soft. I weigh these girls along with the rest remaining up in my mind, desperate to find one who would fit me, but the only one who comes to mind is the one who doesn't want my love.

I'm pulled out my thoughts by the shouts outside, and the signal which meant the rebels were in the castle. My father takes control, ordering the ladies to the back of the room. Some of them freeze, some scream, and some cry. Adeline is in no apparent hurry to get to the back of the room, her eyebrow raised and her expression nonchalant. She notices a girl who has fainted, and she picks her up in her arms, carrying her to the back and carefully laying her there. Then she approaches the other women who are stood still, frozen in shock, and snaps them back into action. Once everyone is safe, I flash her a grateful look, but she responds with the same unbothered expression, cocking her head and gesturing for me to do something about this. I help my father and mother with the metal latches, and notice she's encouraging other women to do the same.

I ask them all if they're okay, every girl. Then I reach Adeline. "Are you okay?" I ask her. "It's me who should be asking you. How are you handling a room full of crying girls?" She says, the smallest hint of a smirk on her lips "it's confusing. I don't know what to do!" I whisper urgently, as in this room I feel obliged to help all of the ladies but feel useless. She shakes her head and sighs "maxon. Lots of times when girls cry, they don't expect you to fix the problem, they just want you to console them." This is even more confusing "no way it is that simple." She laughs "it'll work for the girls in here anyway. They're all doting on you and let's be honest some of them are lacking in character. They need their prince to tell them it'll all be okay." I nod. "Okay... let me practice... do you need consoling?" She rolls her eyes "does this face look like it requires consolation right now?" We both laugh at this, and the moment is peaceful for a second. "Just be natural. Don't make it obvious or I swear I will die of second hand embarrassment. Just use their body language to tell when the appropriate moment is to tell them everything is going to be okay, or offer your help or pat their shoulder." I promise her I'll try.

The moment is disrupted by people throwing things against the door. She doesn't flinch. "Northern or southern rebels?" I give her a look, questioning how she knows "oh please. I'm quite up to date with Illea's affairs and now I am simply asking your expertise on the matter of rebellion."

"My guess would be northern. Their attacks are more tame." Adeline catches on "if this is tame I'd assume southern attacks are lethal?" Exhausted with it, I sigh. "I have a theory. I think they're looking for something." This intrigues Adeline, as I explain to her the theory my father dismissed, but she seems to be believing. "Well, it is certainly a mystery. But I would agree with your theory." I grin "I'll leave you with it then, and go do my rounds."

She smirks again "there's a lot of girls here who need consoling, great practice." I walk away with newfound confidence, as hers seems to be infectious, going over to Marlee and attempting to calm her down.