Chapter 5- Adeline

That night, after a very tense dinner, I can finally relax. I urge my maids to leave, as I can't fully wind down if I am being watched. When they're gone, I'm left alone with my thoughts. Suddenly, I'm back to Spain.

To the balcony in the grand ballroom, which overlooks the beach and sea, a giant mirror reflecting the moon. To the gardens, illuminated in the night by fireflies and string lights. To the city, where everything looks so small from the castle.

I mourn the fact that I can't see any of that, as I took comfort in it. Then I think to the night sky, stars splattered across the inky canvas of the night, and I remember that I could see it now. I ache for it. I ache for the wind in my hair, soothing the nerves and emotions I've built up over the past week. My head is hurting, my stomach knotting. I need to go outside. Sneaking out of my room, I try to find the nearest balcony. To my dismay, it was guarded and locked.

Despite my distress in this moment I pull myself together. "I need to go outside." The guard looks at me. "You cannot." I narrow my eyes "I have to. Please." I'm getting dizzier by the second, my head pounding as the castle feels like an oven in which I burn alive. "Go back to your room." The guard orders loudly, despite my protest until I hear a voice behind me.

"Let her go." From the corner of my eye, I see Prince Maxon. "Your majesty... she was looking faint... she wanted to go outside..." the guard stammers "then open the door." Maxon orders coolly. The guard has no choice but to obey. And I run outside and grasp the railing like a lifeline.

A singular tear runs down my cheek. I never cry. I pant as all the pressure starts to release, until voice reminds me I'm not alone. "Are you alright, my dear?"

I pause and start chuckling to myself, amidst choking back sobs "I am not your dear" I face him, and although his body is masked by darkness, I don't miss the confused look on his face "why not? I have just given you what you asked for?" I sigh and shake my head "Why ever should I accept the term 'dear' when I am no more dear to you than the 34 other women that you have at your disposal?" I ask, and he looks thoughtful and responds "You are all dear to me. It is just a matter of discovering who shall be dearest."

I shake my head and mumble "This is ridiculous" as I place a hand on my burning head. "What makes you think that?" The prince asks me. I certainly have some opinions to vent, and at the moment I don't really care what he thinks. So I raise my voice "You take 35 women who all dream of a better life, throw them in a castle and some fancy dresses, judge them, and let your country watch. This process makes one, and breaks 34, all for some cheap entertainment." Maxon considers this "I understand how it might seem that way. But I am guarded, this is my first time being exposed to so many women, other than the daughters of foreign royalty and diplomats."

I pause. He doesn't realise who I am yet. I didn't want to reveal how much we had in common just yet, but I thought about it to myself. He continues "My mother and father were married this way and are quite happy. I hope to find happiness, too. To find a woman that all of Illéa can love, someone to be my companion and to help entertain the leaders of other nations. Someone who will befriend my friends and be my confidante. I'm ready to find my wife." My heart is stuck in my throat. "Then I hope you find it. I assure you, some of the women in here want you maxon, but others only seek your crown." Maxon chuckles at this "some cannot tell the difference. The crown, or the man wearing it." He looks at me again, clearly trying, and failing, to discreetly work out who I was.

"Which do you fight for?" He asks me. I want to be honest with him, I really do, tell him that I was put up to this by his own father, but I didn't want to hurt him. "I don't fight." I settle on "what do you mean?" Maxon is curious now. "I only want to be happy. If I win, then I'll accept the position knowing that you'd be happy with me and I'd be happy with you. If I lose... well I know there's something else waiting for me." I pause and maxon fills the silence "that is... a most beautiful outlook to have." I can't help but smile "listen, when I sent an application I had no idea that I'd get picked to be here. It was impulsive and I didn't realise the impact it could have. Now I've come to terms with the fact I'm here, and I plan to enjoy the food until you kick me out."

Maxon finds this hilarious, as he asks my caste. "A two." I respond "But I'm most looking forward to not seeing paella at every single meal." Maxon freezes, his mouth agape, as he takes a closer look at my name pin. "You're Adeline..." he trails "ummm... surprise?" I say "sorry if you were expecting a princess, but out here, I'm just me." Maxon shakes his head, trying to gather his thoughts "no, no, trust me, being yourself is enough for me. I just was surprised... given the anticipation surrounding the princess and for her to come out her and yell at me." He chuckles a little at this. "Yeah... sorry about that." I mumble.

Maxon moves closer to me, and we stand side by side looking out at the castle gardens from the balcony. He chuckles again "you really don't sound Spanish you know. Your accent is very much one of an illean princess." I laugh dryly "would you prefer me to speak in Spanish? mi príncipe?" Maxon grins "no, as you were. I was just wondering." I sigh "I spent the youngest years of my life here so obviously Spanish is not my first language. Since my early life in Illea was rather upper class I have no doubt my accent is a product of my surroundings. Though obviously i was raised to know Spanish too, it was my father's native language after all..."

Maxon sighs and places a hand on my arm. "Do you miss them? Your parents?" I freeze for a moment, before explaining "I never really knew them, nor do I remember much about them. In that way, it's hard to miss someone you never knew. But I miss the idea of having parents, y'know? My uncle's been great to me, but he's now focused on his own child, she's crown princess after all." Maxon nods, speaking softly to me "I'm so sorry." He moves his hand from my arm, and takes my hand in his. Another couple of tears roll down my cheek. "I never know what to do when women cry." Maxon mumbles and I chuckle as I quickly collect myself.

"We should probably go back inside." I mumble, and Maxon agrees. "Dear Adeline, could I ask you for one favour?" I look at him suspiciously "Depends what it is." His smile returned. "Don't mention this to the others. Technically, I'm not supposed to meet you until tomorrow, and I don't want anyone getting upset. Though I wouldn't call you yelling at me anything close to a romantic tryst, would you?" I chuckle, "no, I wouldn't either. But don't worry, I'll keep this our little secret." With that, he takes the hand he was holding, and brings his lips to it. Slowly, but surely. When he pulls away, he lets go of my hand and opens the door for me to go inside. Then we part ways.