Chapter 23- Maxon

My mother refuses to let me out of her sight for a good while. She soaks in my face, my appearance, as if she was scared she'd already forgotten. My father is more concerned with the rebel attacks "We've already used Spain's resources... we need more. This cannot go on. But I don't know what's going on with Adeline... she may not be willing to get us anymore, she really doesn't seem like herself." I freeze in my mother's arms, and she notices me tense. I have to bite my tongue, and remind myself he is merely talking to himself. He only ever saw her as Spain, or as a pliable princess. This was my first impression of her too, and I often had to remind myself to give her an equal chance. But that was before I saw her on TV, letting her mask slip... before I met her on the balcony, and I realised there was so much more to her. I love her.

A guard knocks on the door. Your majesty, the rebels have turned their attacks to anyone with the same caste as the remaining elite. What's more... their families are being targeted." My father turns even colder. "Find them all, now. We must tell them this news."

We bring them into a room and deliver the news. They all pale, but Adeline is arguably the most scared, and rightly so. If the rebels attack Spain, then it means war. I am consumed by an overwhelming sense of dread, as her uncle would surely not allow me to propose now.

Father knows the stakes, and keeps glancing at her. She breaks the silence, speaking directly to my father "I'd assume they will double the attacks on twos, rather than risk foreign involvement, as if that makes it any better though." She shares a worried glance at Celeste, and they both seem to share the fear they combined would put on their caste. "How can you be sure?" My father hisses "I am a daughter of Illea, my caste a two, that is the only reason I was allowed to apply for this selection. No matter my history or position in Spain, it's this country they war within, and within this country, I am a two." She sounds more defensive now . "What is the Spanish policy? What will happen if the rebels attack?" He spits and she stares at him coldly "Assuming the rebels are foolish enough to attack Spain, the decision on the response lies with my uncle, the king. Due to circumstances, there would be many factors to consider, hence why there is no set policy of war. I assure you, we avoid it at all costs." They stare eachother down for a bit, and I can't help but marvel Adeline's fall from grace. She isn't trying to please everyone anymore. She's fighting.

My father pauses for a bit. "Do you love him?" He points at me, and all the elite hold their breaths. "Yes." She says it as if she'd never been surer on anything in her entire life. "Would you bring Spain to war, if it meant that you could keep him safe?" She clearly hates how I am being used by the king as an attempt to manipulate her, but she looks me in the eye and speaks from her heart. "I'd burn down the world so long as he lived. Even if I burned with it." My father is taken aback by her conviction. Everyone is. "Leave, all of you. Except from Adeline and Maxon."

"Wait." I say to my father "I need to make some cuts, before anything happens." Father nods slowly, as the four girls sit there in anticipation. "Ladies, due to the threat on your castes I must cut this down even more, and prepare to soon make a decision. Celeste, Elise, I'm sorry, but your time is up."

I know in my heart it's the right thing to do. They nod, and take their leave, disappointed, leaving only Adeline and Kriss.

"Father, I intend to end this tonight." I am a bit pressured by the situation outside the castle. It's what's best for my people if I end this, and what's best for me. Then I can focus on the country, not worrying about choosing between girls.

He nods in agreement. "Then Kriss, you may go and prepare. Amberly, please leave too, I shall find you after. Adeline, I still want a conversation with you, and him." Kriss leaves, following my mother, and I sit down next to Adeline.

Father takes a breath "So you wouldn't be opposed to marrying my son." She smiles dryly "It's his choice. But no." He shakes his head at her "I prefer the girl you were."

"She was easier to manipulate."

My father angers slightly "Hence why I managed to get you here."

what did he mean?

"You didn't intend to stick around, Adeline. At first, I planned to use you for political gains while I still could, and you were useful. You won us favour with Europe, but then I was sure you'd leave, as per the agreement. So why didn't you?"

"Love. I told you I love him and I mean it. Why else would I sacrifice the chance to be free forever? Because he makes me feel free."

Hold on... what agreement?

"If you win the selection, will you help us?" My father asks her, deadly serious. "I will phone my uncle now."

A phone is brought to her, and she talks in Spanish for a while before putting it down. "He will be here in two hours. My worry is he wants to withdraw me from the selection." She gulps, and my father's eyes narrow. "Is that an indication of his feelings on the wider issue?" She whispers "I don't know. But I will do everything I can to stay, and should I win, I will provide everything you ask of me, so long as I can have Maxon."

My father dismisses us, and I pull her into the hallway and kiss her. "You're really going to fight for me?" She nods, "Whatever it takes."

"What did he mean by 'agreement'?" I ask as we walk, and she looks at me, before taking a breath. "Maxon, I never wanted to apply for the selection. I was done with palace life, but my uncle was hesitant to let me leave Spain at all. When King Clarkson heard of this, he offered my uncle a guaranteed place for me in the selection, as an attempt to form an alliance with Spain. My uncle accepted- as you know the reason why he was so hesitant for an alliance all this time was due to the strict regime and lack of personal freedoms, he thought I could help. But I didn't want this, I wanted to be free, live my life, away from all these expectations. So they made an agreement with me. I would try the selection, I would make it as far as I could, help Illea in whatever way I could, and if I got kicked out then they'd let me go, and support and fund whatever I decide to do next. So I intended to stay as your friend until you seriously needed a wife. I didn't expect I'd ever fall in love with you, nor that I actually want to stay here more than anything else, as long as I'm with you."

I don't know how to feel, on one hand I'm hurt, I wish she'd told me sooner, I wish she'd never led me on, unknowingly or not, knowing that she wanted to leave. But on the other hand, I think of where we are now, and how much she's willing to sacrifice for me. She senses my discomfort and hesitation, and whispers "Freedom can be a person. Someone wise once told me that you could end up being my freedom personified."

I give no response. I understand her, but I am increasingly jealous of all of the opportunity she was given. She got a way out. But she crawled back into the cage, for me. To get me out. I still need time to think this all over before the announcement, which just became a lot harder, but first, the meeting. It would be a significant one, after all. And "We must get ready for the meeting. I'll see you then." I can see she's holding herself together, and as we part ways, I fight the urge to look back.