Chapter 29- Maxon

Exactly a month after our coronation, it is my first birthday as a king. I said I didn't want a party or a fuss, however Adeline insisted on doing something for me. She held a party, but she didn't make it a big deal, only inviting people who I get along well with or think highly of. She really pulled it out on decorations, and everything was planned perfectly, exactly to my liking. When I see all the tiny details I realise how lucky I am to have her, and how much she knows about me.

The party goes smoothly, and towards the end I hug Adeline tight. "Thank you so much, darling" I whisper. She smiles "you're welcome. I also have a present for you." This catches me off guard, and I wonder what she possibly could've got me "you didn't have to get me anything, every day with you is a gift for me." I grin, and she matches my expression, but her eyes are filled with excitement "I'm only sorry I can't give it you right now... it's gonna take 8 months to come."

What could possibly take 8 months to...wait...

"You're not? We're not?" I gasp, not wanting to get too excited in case it isn't true. But she's nodding happily "Maxon, we are pregnant."

These words fill me with excitement, and I pick her up and spin her around. "Oh Adi! This is amazing! We are going to be parents!" She seems to also be overcome with emotion, and I put her down, bringing my hands to her stomach and then kissing it.

"But, Adeline, do you think I'm going to be like him? Like my father?" I say with serious worry, I'd never want my child to experience what I did. "Maxon Schreave, if anything I'm worried about you being too soft on the child. You are nothing like him, and I know for certain that this child will be so loved, so happy, and lucky to have a father like you." She comforts, but I can hear the confidence in her voice. With her by my side, I can do anything. She's so strong, so powerful, but so gentle and kind. "We've got this." I whisper, and she nods her head, agreeing.

"Only we know?" I ask, wondering if she's told anyone else. "Only us." To this, I grin, and pick her up in my arms, carrying her inside.

I support Adeline through her pregnancy, which is hard and painful, but she is an incredibly strong (and stubborn) woman. 6 months in, and she's still insisting on preforming her duties, even though I shortened her workdays and fully intend to cut them soon. Naturally, she didn't take the idea well. But after a lot of comforting, convincing and loving gestures she finally agreed to rest.

When I've returned from my first day working without my queen, I return to my room as she lays in our bed, her bump incredibly obvious, and she pouts at me as I enter. "Hello, my love, how are you doing?" She narrows her eyes "I'm FINE. Honest, it's literally not even bad." I sigh, and take a seat on the bed "I know you feel like that, darling, but it's not just your health I'm concerned about, you must consider the child too." She knows I have a point, and can't stay mad at me for much longer, so she sighs, shuffles over to me and places her head on my lap. I chuckle at this gesture, stroking her forehead gently. "I promise I'll take care of you sweetheart. You'll have everything you need" she cuts me off quickly "all I need is you. But since you're, yknow, a king, I shall have to suffer in my solitude until you can pay me a visit." I laugh a bit at her dramatics, before replying "I'll make sure you're kept occupied in my absence, but I promise that I'll see you as often as I can, to be with you during this hard time, and make sure you're okay." She takes my hand and squeezes it now, and I can't help but think she looks adorable in this state, but still, she mumbles "I'm fine..." before finally starting to relax in my presence.

Months later, Adeline was going into labour. Her birth was long, and painful, and despite her willpower and strength she obviously found it difficult. The child came, and it was declared to be a little boy. I rush to Adeline's side, but she's not relaxed, I wonder what's wrong, until her contractions start again, her condition worsens, and the doctors reposition. She's having another child. We have twins. I gasp, as she gives birth a second time.

She really is strong isn't she?

The second child comes, and this time, she's a little girl. I take a look at both of my children, a boy and a girl, laid next to eachother, before refocusing on a weak and recovering Adeline. I take the children to her, and she holds them both to her chest. I plant a small kiss on her sweaty forehead, and we share a smile.

"Their names?" She asks, still weak, and i realise we hadn't prepared anything "Well, we didn't discuss it." She shakes her head "Maxon Schreave I just gave birth twice in one day you really think I want to be thinking about names? Pick whatever you want- as long as it's not stupid I don't care." I grin a little bit, and take another look at our children. The names seem to come to me so easily.

"Alexander and Eleanor."

She agrees, a smile forming on her tired face, as we have officially become parents.

Our story hasn't ended, in fact, it's only just beginning.