Chapter 8- Adeline

The food was magnificent. I was kept on a strict diet back in Spain, so I naturally reached for the sweetest things I could get my hands on.

"Lady Adeline." Maxon says. I am not sat far from him, but far enough he needs to raise his voice a bit. I blink and snap out of my blissful culinary experience, partially because I was so entranced by the strawberry tart, but also because I wasn't used to the whole 'lady' thing. I remind myself in illea, I am a two.

"Yes, your majesty?" I return. "How are you enjoying the food? Is it almost as good as the cuisine in Spain?" He smiles, and I remember the fact that I told him I can't wait to see the back of our national dish. "It is incredible. Someone may need to take this plate off me, for I may finish it and that would not be good for my figure." My voice wavers at that last part. Maxon studies my face and I think he pieced together that there was something behind it. He says carefully "I don't think you could eat that entire plate." My brows raise "I could if I wanted to." Maxon chuckles "Do you want to?" I look at him "not particularly, though I am tempted. I must say I would take this tart over a churro any day." The others laugh politely, as do the king and queen. Maxon smiles, and it lights up the whole room.

I just get on with my eating. Ignoring Maxon's stares purposefully, as I needed no more attention.

When breakfast had ended, there was a note in my room

Dearest Adeline,
Could I perhaps make a simple request? I would like for you to accompany me on a stroll around the gardens. I have a feeling you will like the nature.
Your friend, maxon

It wasn't like I could ignore what could be perceived as a royal summons. My predicament was worsening. I had to try and make it far in the selection, so uncle and the king Clarkson don't think I've thrown it. But I also cannot lead maxon on, I can't make him fall for me and then upset him if I didn't feel the same...

I must proceed carefully.

The maids dressed me, and I walked out to meet him. "You look gorgeous." He remarks. "It's just a simple dress" I state bluntly "still..." maxon grins. He offers his arm and I take it, against my wishes, but it is protocol after all. "So... I'm curious to know more about you Adeline. And your life in Spain." Maxon begins. "What is it you want to know? I'm an open book, at this point."

Apart from just one chapter, that is

"I cant stop thinking about you with crown princess Isabella. Are you two close?" This tugs on my heartstrings a bit, as I really do love Isabella. "As you know, I faced the pressures of an heir for a very long time. I always did it with a hope that my uncle and aunt would conceive, and the pressure... well... would go to the child. I rejoiced at her birth for this reason. Some of the country was excited, as the heir would be of direct line from the king, but some had grown to envision me as their queen. Despite the divide, both the king and I issued statements on the matter. Making it clear I was now second in line to the throne, but the regent for Isabella should anything happen to him and his wife before she comes of age. When I saw Isabella for the first time, I was giddy. I wanted to see, in the flesh, the baby who would take my spot. So I knew it was real. But then I looked at her, and everything changed. She was so pure, so sweet, so innocent and I was filled with this desire to protect her from the role I knew all too well. So I didn't leave Spain straight away, as I had intended. I became like a sister to her, and she to me. I always stood up for the little girl, as I realised just how heartless the regime can be on a child so young. We are now so close, and I miss her terribly, but I knew I had to leave. Obviously I'll visit her frequently, but I've done my part ensuring the early years of her life were bearable. And now, I must put my own happiness first." I gulp.

"I hate myself for it. My application to the selection was impulsive, because it was an escape." Maxon looks at me, his eyes pitiful. "Like you said, an escape can be a person." I chuckle at this "I never thought I'd reveal all that to the crown prince of illea. Maxon smiles at me gently "you can tell me anything you know. I'm right here." I am grateful for the offer, but don't know if I shall take it up in its entirety.

I pull myself together. "Shall we talk about something less depressing? I don't even mind if it's about my hatred for paella as long as it makes me laugh a bit." This does make Maxon chuckle, and he drives the conversation elsewhere "I must say, I love your name. It doesn't sound really Spanish, or illean, but it's yours." I chuckle at this "its origin is German. My grandmother, not the Spanish one obviously, was German and so my mother chose the name to align with her family and their culture, while I have a Spanish last name, which came from my father." Maxon marvels at this. "That's beautiful..." he remarks.

"they were always rather traditional. What about your family?" I ask, trying to balance the conversation now. This seems to hit a delicate spot, and I can tell from his expression. "It's...complicated. There's a lot of pressure on me right now." I understand completely "You must feel worried, about the future then?" "Yeah, I need to make the right choice, there's so many people to please."

Oh no. If he's trying to please the people, he'll pick me. If he's trying to please his parents, he'll pick me. I need to try and steer him away, to think for himself, maybe then I'll stand a chance.

"You know... the most important person to please here is yourself. You cannot shackle yourself to someone you detest just because it's what makes everyone else happy. Then not only do you harm yourself, but also her. As she would marry a man who doesn't love her. I know the pressure, I understand, but this is your life, your choice, your queen." His eyes grow wide at this, so I continue "Besides, if that girl you pick is deemed unsuitable, then a great test to see if she loves you is how hard she'll try to fit in, to make it work." I preach this as if I've ever been in love. "Thank you so much Adeline, you really are a great friend. I appreciate you... I really do."

"I also want you to know, that regardless of the outcome of this selection, I would never use it as grounds to take it out on illea. In fact, I shall support you whatever happens between us, and be happy for the woman you pick." I add, and he's getting a little misty eyed now.

"You really are so kind..."

I give him a playful nudge "that's what friends are for! Isn't it?" He shakes his head. "I wouldn't know... it's embarrassing to admit but you're the first friend I've ever had." I feel sympathetic for him now. The prince who had it all- but never had a friend. "Have you ever had any friends?" I would be lying if I said I hadn't, I tried to tell him of my social life gently so not to hurt him. "I like to befriend my maids. In Spain there are no castes, so while royalty and nobility is, well, an exception, everyone else is equal. I like to embody that in how I treat my closest staff, so my maids are all girls of my age. Also, my uncle has taken me to courts around the world and through that I've made many good friends. Princes Nicoletta of Italy and Princess Harriet of the German Federation. They're both close with me still. I have a gift for languages, so it has certainly helped."

Maxon looks slightly envious but mostly in awe "languages, you say?" I nod "obviously I speak English and Spanish, but I have learned French, Italian and German because it was a comforting hobby to have in the castle." "You are incredibly talented!" I brush off this compliment and we carry on walking.

For the next half an hour we learn more about each other, until the time comes that we must return to the castle, and part ways. I suppose it wasn't as bad as I expected.