Chapter 11- Adeline

The entire week following the meeting was filled with Silvia preparing everyone for the Spanish ball. Rules, etiquette, protocol.

In the first lesson, she covers the Spanish royal family, and I blush a little when she gets to me. "Now girls, in illea, Adeline's title is lady as she was born here as a two. In Spain, she will be referred to as Princess, due to her position in the Spanish royal family."

Thanks for that one Silvia.

The girls are taught literally everything I've grown up practicing, and I did try several times to get out of the lessons but failed miserably. At one point, she makes us take a test on Spanish conversational phrases. We have half an hour but I finish in 5 minutes. Marlee, next to me, is struggling, so I place my paper at a helpful angle so she can catch some of it.

After the lesson Marlee catches up to me "thanks so much Adeline! I'm not great with languages and if I failed that then I'm sure Silvia would've had something to say..." I grin "anytime, honestly I'm happy to help Marlee." We chat some more as we make our way to our rooms for the final night before the journey to Spain.

In the morning we are taken to the airport, I'm in a car with Marlee, Kriss, Celeste and Natalie. I chat to everyone, though Celeste only contributes some snotty remarks or snide comments. We all ignore her- the moment is exciting for them. I learn it's both Kriss and Marlee's first time out of the country. We board a plane and I sit next to both of them, helping to soothe their nerves of flying.

When we land in Spain and arrive at the castle, the warm air hits me and reminds me I'm not free just yet. My uncle, aunt and cousin greet us on arrival and Isabella runs into my arms. "I've missed you." I whisper to Isabella and she just hugs me closer. When she lets go, she slips her hand in mine, so I can take her back to her room while my aunt and uncle show everyone else to their rooms, so they can prepare for the ball.

I'm done in no time, and as a Spanish princess I actually have the ability to leave my room, so I go for a walk. It's nice feeling like I own these halls. When I approach one corridor I see Maxon, looking at a portrait on the wall. It's me. The portrait is the one of me. My heart skips a beat as I see him standing and staring at it, should I interrupt him? Is that odd? I decide to do it anyway, "hey Maxon!" I call from down the corridor, and he turns to me, walking down the corridor to meet me. I turn my expression serious and ask "Maxon Schreave do you have permission to roam these palace halls alone?" I'm only teasing him but he looks slightly worried "it's a joke. Cmon, I'll show you something." I grab his hand and lead him outside "is this allowed Adeline? Is it safe?" I chuckle "I'm the princess, so whatever I say goes, and yes it's safe because we have no rebels here."

I take him out of the palace, through the gardens, and we stop at the rocks which overlook the beach. I notice the look of awe in his eyes, as the beach truly was an outstanding sight. I let the wind blow through my hair, breathing in the salty sea air like I used to. "This place... is where I used to escape." I look at Maxon. "I understand fully. It's amazing." We stand there for a second in silence, appreciating the sound of the waves crashing against the sand.

"We should probably get back. I used to run off to here so often that the second they realise I'm missing they know exactly where to find me." Maxon finds this incredibly amusing and he follows me back inside. I take him back to his room so that he can finish preparing for the ball. But the moment was etched in my brain, I can think of nobody better to share my secret place of refuge with other than him.